• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Boss did something that may be regrettable.

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys,

boss bought a 2006 Crew cab long box DRW 6.0L auto 4wd King ranch edition F350 with the 6.0L diesel

the goals of this one is: keep it from blowing up and dont spend much.

he is in it at a good price, 10,250 bucks. it has 170K and some blowby.

they had to jump it to get it going, due to shit batteries. I was worried they would fry the FICM, but so far, so good. new batteries are bought, just need installed.

he is changing oil and all engine related filters. He called me asking how difficult, etc. since I had a college buddy that had one. I told him we tried a few of those things then gave up. I wished him luck :D

It had been chipped, so that isnt good, and 170K miles with blowby isnt good either. but it starts great apparently and seems to have plenty of giddy up and go.

SO

I ask you folks, what all will go to crap on these, and what is the cheapest way to deal with it?

I am aware the FICM doesnt like crap batteries, so new batts are going in, the EGR and oil coolers are problem areas, so keep an eagle eye on the fluid levels to see if something has gone south.

otherwise, besides knowing they have 6.5L durability on a space shuttle budget, what needs to be done to this pig to keep it from puking?

This is the boss in KS with all the dodge cummins'. maybe he drove one of the 94-02s too much and the bad body and chassis has droven him to insanity, or owning Deere farm equipment had done the same, I dont know why he did this! :)

EGR cooler delete NOW!!! known to plug and crack due to under sizing for heat/flow requirements and leaks oil into anti freeze.

WHEN the head gaskets go ( if he not on his 3rd set already ) - ditch the TTY crap bolts and install ARP studs. torque in the afternoon today; let sit over night and re-torque the next day. IF he is on the 3rd set of gaskets and the heads havent been decked AT LEAST once; they probably need to be replaced on the next go round.

keep a good watch on oil pressure - the sending unit has a tendency to crap out and make the gauge do weird things. and if its not the sending unit its probably a blown EGR cooler...see above. or a head gasket...see above #2.....

hopefuly he's only on the 2nd turbo - these are prone to the VVT actuator failure just like the LLY's and early LBZ's. if running a aftermarket air filter; they like to collapse and be sucked in to the compressor. look for any damage to the vanes.......

the tranny's have been ok in most power adders up to around 100HP or so depending on how hard they were towed/joy ridden.... so he may be ok there....

there is 2 fuel filters on the truck...one on the frame rail like a chevy gasser/6.2/6.5 and one along side the engine be sure he changes both. most shops dont even change the one on the frame rail.....

how do the front tires look.....if they are chopped at; all the front end needs work.... probably should do this any way.....replace both shocks, ALL the bushings with poly ones and a good stabilizer shock. may even have to get a kit from Cognito or the like to rebuild the steering idler's... while not quite as bad as a Dodge, these trucks do get a form of the death wobble.....

and how do I know all this......These are just the major stuff I have helped my business partner replace over the past 2 years on his 2005 6.0L F350 CCLBDRW 4x4 King Ranch...and he only has 115k miles this past summer.....

tell the boss - dont worry they're good trucks; just drive the wheels off of 'er and have fun !!!!! then just sit back and laugh your ass off while his truck is down all the time.......

Son owns one and says,...wish the sorry sumbitch luck,..he'll need it.
Son's 06 is at its third turbo,had the heads(gaskets) done twice, puked a couple injectors. replaced ball joints and had the entire airco replaced due to the pump crapping out and sending pieces all trough the system.
All the above within the 150 k warranty but the last turbo $1800 and the ball joints at 800 pop a side were on his dime.

can be made reliable if all the problems are addressed just like our 6.5's, gonna take ALOT more money to do it though lol.

as I told him, its 6.5L reliability with a space shuttle preventive maintenance budget. At least with a 6.5L, its cheap to make it a good truck, wheras you are best off buying a new truck before you can fully bulletproof a 6.0L.

I have never talked so bad of a vehicle the night before when he called me, then the next day went and bought it.

I didnt think dodge bodies sucked that bad that it would drive him to this. :) I made sure to send him to destroked.com so he can have that thought in the back of the mind if it ever heads south on him so bad that a cummins swap becomes the cheap alternative.

unfortunately this is all on his dime as far as repairs.

would the coolant filter kit and a coolant flush prolong the life of the EGR cooler and oil cooler at this stage in life? I have heard the passages are too small, causing casting junk to clog the water portion of the cooler, and the chunks sit there and vibrate against the fins and wear a hole. Is this right?

I guess I need to get him an Oasis report on this (isnt that the internal Ford system you can look up warranty repairs?) and see what the previous owner had done to it. considering this was traded in on a dodge cummins after this Furd was off warranty, I would have taken that as enough of a sign to stay back! :)

does the blowby mean anything other than wear?

as I told him, its 6.5L reliability with a space shuttle preventive maintenance budget. At least with a 6.5L, its cheap to make it a good truck, wheras you are best off buying a new truck before you can fully bulletproof a 6.0L.

I have never talked so bad of a vehicle the night before when he called me, then the next day went and bought it.

I didnt think dodge bodies sucked that bad that it would drive him to this. :) I made sure to send him to destroked.com so he can have that thought in the back of the mind if it ever heads south on him so bad that a cummins swap becomes the cheap alternative.

unfortunately this is all on his dime as far as repairs.

would the coolant filter kit and a coolant flush prolong the life of the EGR cooler and oil cooler at this stage in life? I have heard the passages are too small, causing casting junk to clog the water portion of the cooler, and the chunks sit there and vibrate against the fins and wear a hole. Is this right?

I guess I need to get him an Oasis report on this (isnt that the internal Ford system you can look up warranty repairs?) and see what the previous owner had done to it. considering this was traded in on a dodge cummins after this Furd was off warranty, I would have taken that as enough of a sign to stay back! :)

does the blowby mean anything other than wear?
nope,..nuttin to worry about,..just a 10 grand rebuild job:hihi:

He seems to have either:

A) Felt real lucky
B) Developed a loose screw somewhere
C) Believed in the tooth fairy
D) Found a need to learn a new (and expensive) lesson
E) All of the above

:dunno:

Hope it works out for him. Have heard many issues and others no issues. Its all a crap shoot. But i have heard more people with issues than not lol.

They make a nice EGR bypass setup for those 6.0 Powerstokes. I'd have to say that many if not all construction companies here in the Northeast have them and many have 250-350K on them and they are still running strong. Also many city and town DPW's have them exclusively. They sound good and get beat on. Lots of idling time, etc. They do have their little quirks, but nothing different than what we have. If properly maintained, they will run for a long time.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Ford fan, but just going by what I have seen and experienced. :D ;)

do you figure most of those companies get the EGR bypass? I would think idling is an easy way to gum up all sorts of things on an EGR engine.

You would think, as a gov municipality, they would not want the scrutiny if an emissions modified unit. :dunno:

Doubt it. Most of those fleets do nothing more than BASIC maintenance. It's not worth the extra money or hassle to deal with aftermarket parts for them, and you can't convince them otherwise.

If you do the EGR delete before the head leaves the block the chances of the TTY bolts holding are trippled.

We've had 2 6.0's one was my dads and one was my grandpa's. Dads had 168K miles on it when he got fed up with it: 24 injectors total, 4 turbos, 3 sets of heads, and 2 full long blocks. The truck literally spent more time in the shop than hauling hay.

My gpa's had a leaky radiator after 200K of pulling a 36ft 4 slide out travel trailer 3 times a yr, including 2 road trips to alaska pulling the trailer. Traded it in on a 6.7 Stroker and he's thinking about not buying fords again. His 2 7.3's and 6.0 got mid-high teens but the 6.7 struggles to pull 13 unloaded with a tail wind, then add urea into your budget and he is pissed

Should be a good Donaldson and heavy box. Best mod is cutting a hole though the radiator cross member for the filter box to pull through.

If you do the EGR delete before the head leaves the block the chances of the TTY bolts holding are trippled.

We've had 2 6.0's one was my dads and one was my grandpa's. Dads had 168K miles on it when he got fed up with it: 24 injectors total, 4 turbos, 3 sets of heads, and 2 full long blocks. The truck literally spent more time in the shop than hauling hay.

My gpa's had a leaky radiator after 200K of pulling a 36ft 4 slide out travel trailer 3 times a yr, including 2 road trips to alaska pulling the trailer. Traded it in on a 6.7 Stroker and he's thinking about not buying fords again. His 2 7.3's and 6.0 got mid-high teens but the 6.7 struggles to pull 13 unloaded with a tail wind, then add urea into your budget and he is pissed

No pun intended! ;) :lmao: I hear ya. My BIL has a 2003 or 2004 7.3, and it has been excellent.

No pun intended! ;) :lmao: I hear ya. My BIL has a 2003 or 2004 7.3, and it has been excellent.

Haha, didn't even think of that when I typed that. Hard to be more reliable than a 7.3 but the 6.0 has alot of power if you can get them to hold together, same as a 6.4 twin turbo, they are power houses after you dpf delete and chip it.

4 injectors put in the right side. IDK why he quit there and didnt do all 8.

PO didnt know how to change fuel filters apparently, as they were super shitty.

boss apparently gelled it, and according to ford, the HEUI can split injectors when fuel gells and you give it more pedal.

he ruined two, and changed all 4 on that bank. apparently gave all of the old ones to ford. unless they were charging a core charge, I would have tried to hock the 2 decent ones on ebay.

supposedly 8 were replaced by a bad ford garage, and a few were actually loose.

I am rather certain the repair/upkeep budget on this has surpassed his 4 cummins powered dodges combined. (and a NV4500 was done on the one last year)

it hasnt even had a trailer hooked to it yet. not a money earner right now! :)

but, gotta say, that cab is spectacular. we went somewhere with him and we were 4 deep in back and werent uncomfortable. big ol effing cab. :)

Back