• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Boost fooler questions

great white

Reaction score
So, I've become intrigued by this "boost fooler" concept. Specifically, the OBDII trucks (since mine is a 98).

I understand that you are modifying the boost signal to the PCM, but does this have any other effects on the PCM output other than boost control?

IE: defuelling, etc.....

Next, is it possible to locate a "knob" in the cab so you can dial the "boost fooler" up and down while driving? I see "that guy" has one on his web site. Anyone have part numbers, plans or links to components to make something similar? If I do build one, it must be adjustable from the drivers seat. A 10k pot on the manifold is not going to cut it.

I've also thought of creating a "Turbo Master" that is adjustable from the drivers seat with a simple circuit and a stepper motor. But that's a discussion for another thread.....;)

The boost fooler will only adjust boost if you keep the vacuum wastegate system. It could affect fueling and shifting if it thinks youre at 5k elevation. Not even sure that elevation modification stuff works though, because my truck would blow serious smoke in the mile high city. So I wouldnt worry about it.

Most people use the fooler because they put a TM on and it gives more boost than stock PCM and vacuum wastegate. They have to dial in the potentiometer so they are never too low or high on the boost signal because it will code for either, so there is only a small useable area of the pot for them. These people would not see the value in having a system that will extend the pot all the way to the driver seat, because it doesnt help them and they probably never thought they could have just gotten more boost with the stock sytem with the potentiometer.

Now, if youre going to extend it, it may become necessary to have shielded cable or some EMI/RFI protection, bypass capacitors. Since its essentially an analogue input it shouldn't be too bad though. I dont know what that other guy all did with his cable kit. If he used shielded cable (probably not) or added EMI/RFI protection in the boxes then he may have put some good thought into the product, but I wouldnt count on it.

The boost fooler will only adjust boost if you keep the vacuum wastegate system. It could affect fueling and shifting if it thinks youre at 5k elevation. Not even sure that elevation modification stuff works though, because my truck would blow serious smoke in the mile high city. So I wouldnt worry about it.

Most people use the fooler because they put a TM on and it gives more boost than stock PCM and vacuum wastegate. They have to dial in the potentiometer so they are never too low or high on the boost signal because it will code for either, so there is only a small useable area of the pot for them. These people would not see the value in having a system that will extend the pot all the way to the driver seat, because it doesnt help them and they probably never thought they could have just gotten more boost with the stock sytem with the potentiometer.

Now, if youre going to extend it, it may become necessary to have shielded cable or some EMI/RFI protection, bypass capacitors. Since its essentially an analogue input it shouldn't be too bad though. I dont know what that other guy all did with his cable kit. If he used shielded cable (probably not) or added EMI/RFI protection in the boxes then he may have put some good thought into the product, but I wouldnt count on it.

My intent is to retain the vacuum system.

At least, for the foreseeable future...

I ran a fooler for years Kennedy sells one a 10 turn 10K trimmer pot with male/female plugs on it to connect between the MAP sensor & harness.

IIRC 8.5K was the "sweet spot" for mine. unshielded wire should be fine steak sauce for sure did not run shielded wire. Unless you anticipate a lot of altitude changes, a fixed resistor should work just as well, I set and forgot the one I had under hood, until the vac system crapped out and I replaced with a TM, before going ATT.

I ran a fooler for years Kennedy sells one a 10 turn 10K trimmer pot with male/female plugs on it to connect between the MAP sensor & harness.

IIRC 8.5K was the "sweet spot" for mine. unshielded wire should be fine steak sauce for sure did not run shielded wire. Unless you anticipate a lot of altitude changes, a fixed resistor should work just as well, I set and forgot the one I had under hood, until the vac system crapped out and I replaced with a TM, before going ATT.

British Columbia, I can go from sea level to 6-7000 feet in under an hour.

Higher, depending on where I go....):h

I'd like to be able to dial boost up when I need it, and let the PCM take it the rest of the time for MPG.

I'm also thinking about using the MAP sensor to feed a boost gauge so that would have to be taken of before a "fooler"...

Back