• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

blown head gasket???

NCadam

Reaction score
I think I might have a blown head gasket.... Last night i was going down the highway and started losing power fast all my gauges where normal Egt was high incline with a trailer... the motor made a funny noise kida like it tosed a belt sound and died fast. I coasted to a stop and it was duping antifreze out the over flow tube really bad. I can turn the motor over with the starter and there is no funny noise. What do you guys think??? What should I look for???

Motor has 208,000 on it

check for fuel at injectors. If it was running on the hot side and shut down quickly the puking could be normal. I'd get it running before I diagnosed head gasket

I can't figure why it would die. When my gasket went it just started to overheat. 200,000 miles is almost an omen for head gaskets. Mine went 235 and cracked the heads all to pieces.

When mine blow it still runs but blows antifreeze out the overflow.

Might not be a head gasket, the coolent that went everywhere when it happend freaked me out, it was also dark so i wasnt sure where it all was coming from. I went out and looked at it today when i got it off the trailer, here is what L looked at

oil has no coolent in it

truck will crank over with starter but not start

LP is working and pumping fuel

I get a very small amount of fuel in squrits.. out of the injector lines when the motor is being cranked by the starter

there is a strange smell after cranking the motor over not sure what it is...

When it shut down the temp gauge did not sky rocket untill after the motor was not running, my my egts where the highest I had seen all day 11 or more.... i also had about 12,000 pounds behind me so the she was working hard.... Im kinda lost, dosnt help this is my first diesel.

Oh yeah my PMD is relocated before someone asks, forot to put it in my sig..

You get fuel at the injectors, but no fire huh? Doesnt make much sense, usually getting fuel is the hard part, with some piece of electronics stopping injection. But when fuel get to the cyclider should start up. Unless its cranking slow or have no compression, or engine is very very cold and glows dont work, or some combination of the three.

I get no fire and a funny smell.... like i said to me it looks like a small amount of fuel im not really sure how much it should have....

Im going to try puting a charge on the batts tomarow and see what happens, I sat on the side of the road for a long time with my parking lights on last night so my voltage was down because of that.

I could not get it to fire last night either when the motor was cooled back down to operating temp

Maybe it's not cranking fast enough, the smell could be heated electrical cables.

:iagree: The worst thing for an electrical motor is to run it with low volts, well to high of volts might kill it quicker.

has new batts and starter

alt output was readin 14 all day, I drove a little over 500 miles I went to chicago and back to get a truck was 30 miles from home when it shutdown on me...

The question is what made it shut down on the highway....

You might have blown all 4 corners and won't start on the remaining 4cyls.

Last edited:
You might have blown all 4 corners and won't start on the remaining 4cyls.

I just looked at your gasket pics and that would not suprise me after seeing the amout of space between the fire ring and the coolent passage on the outside cylinder, and how you the victor rinz gasget looked to be no good in that spot

Normal no start stuff, did you try unplugging OS connector, or CPS connector? tried spare PMD?

If youre not sure about actual injection happening, then Im sure youve checked all fuses.

Where is the PMD located?

dont have a spare pmd

pmd is relocated to driver inerfender with a cooler

fuses are good havent tried unpluging anything yet

I got a good charge on the batts today and got it to start. It has no power, would not even pull it sell around the drive way real well. It sounds sick... I got a vid on my phone of it I will try and up load it in a few...

the upper hose stayed soft untill after I shut it off

fuel filter is due to be changed, and lookin black

had a weird rattle sound that is not normal

I plan on doing a compression test on it and go from there I guess.

You got bad batch of fuel?

If you were running on a bad cylinder it should still start and run, probably smoke like a chimney I would think. You fuel up anywhere different? Whats this smell you smell? Gasoline? Water?

I think the smell was the fuel trying to combust and not having the rpm needed...

I did get fuel at a truck stop on the way home, put about 28gallons in and I drove about 100 miles on that tank before it shut down on me

Does not smoke real bad i get a tiney bit of white/blue at idle thats it

I have never got bad fuel before im kinda lost on what it would do

Back