• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Block heaters

I had only 2 blockheaters burn out in 30 yrs,and we had them plugged in daily in winter,and winters are long and cold up here.
Like AK,lots of cords though,..cords get as hard as rebar after 20 below

I change more cord ends than anything, I've had two block heaters go bad as well. I just put a circulating heater on then.

done that a couple of times. I have to laugh when I see cars driving down the road dragging an ext cord

Well, I have done it though infrequently. I also named no names, you can read into it what you like.:D

Personally I am using a Oil Pan heater. I purchased it from one of the vendors. I am very happy with it. It is a 250 Watt, vs the 500 watt block heater. I had a block heater before I changed out my engine, and I have to say, having used both, I perfer the Oil Pan Heater. I could watch my electrical meter spin like crazy with the block heater when it was plugged in. I dont notice a change in my electrical meter when I plug in the Oil Pan Heater.

I found the oil heater works just as well, plus it doesnt cost me 10.00/ night to run like the block heater did....
It is also easier to install.

other option is to do what I did (see sig) I only plug it in for an hour or so and it will start at minus 26 in one hour.

Are you serious? Have you seen cars dragging extension cords?

Not so much in South California...

but

When visiting family in the North (Nova Scotia, Seattle, Idaho, and soon Cape Cod Mass. or Alaska; they haven't decided yet)
I use my glued-on oil pan heater overnight, then when I wake up, I turn on the 'tank' heater and it is ready for instant interior heat when we are ready to drive away.
I have 2 pan heaters, a smaller one for the transmission, bigger for the engine.
Pretty cheap to run, especially since normal convection causes the heat to rise and warm the whole motor.
Put silicone aroung the edges of the flat ones to seal them to the pan.

I prefer Kat's for both type, they are MADE IN AMERICA.:thumbsup:
Kats 100watt pan heater.jpgKats tank heater.jpg

I added one of these into my front/ left bumper. This way the "cord issues" are eliminated. I also, just recently, spliced in an oil pan heater that I got from Kennedy.

200BBI-CMYK-99 copy.jpg

Forgot to add... I bought my block heater at NAPA about 6 or 7 years ago after the cord failed on the one that was in there.

PS: I'm knocking on wood right now...

That would be the best but These things cost here a fortune!

I think it was somewhere around $20 here. I could send one to you if you wanted. The only reason I knew about these is that I work part-time at a boat store and these were originally designed as a power inlet for boats.

Thanks for the offer Dennis but I hardly use the block heaters anymore.:nonod:
My 2 trucks sleep now in the heated shop and my wife's truck sleeps in the heated garage,...makes life soooo much easier.:D

Back