• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Block Heater Install

Acesneights1

Reaction score
well what a horrible, messy job. I have to say and I know I'll catch crap for this , but if you don't have a block heater don't try this. It was not fun. I got it done but I nearly knocked the freeze plug into the block. That thing was rusted in there solid and did not want to come out. I drilled a 3/8 hole in it while coolant was still so the shavings would come out. I then drained the rest of the coolant. I used a 5lb Slap Hammer on it for 10 mins and it would not budge. I really thought I was going to be torching it out. I finally got it loose by driving it in a little but it nearly went all the way in. Once I got it out I took a small magnet and stuck it in the hole to make sure I got all the drillings. Once it was out the rest was easy but getting a rusted in for 20 something years freeze plug out in truck is not for the faint of heart. My advice would be to just buy a inline heater. Had I known what a bitch this turned into I would have done just that. That said the new one went in nice and easy and so far no leaks and it works nicely. I used a paint strainer to clean the anti freeze. As you can see there was debris. I tested it at -25f. I may drain some and put some fresh in. Would like to see max of -45f even though it will never get that cold here.

Attachments

• DSCF0027.jpg
    DSCF0027.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0028.jpg
    DSCF0028.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF0029.jpg
    DSCF0029.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF0030.jpg
    DSCF0030.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF0031.jpg
    DSCF0031.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 15
Wonder how hard it woudl be to remove an existing block heater from the frost plug. Mine seems to be crusted up or something. When i plug it in it does work, but the engine barely gets warm. My 6.5 you can hear it working within about 30 seconds and the temp gauge is just a tic above 160 in the morning after leaving it plugged in all night.

Worth cleaning it off and re-installing it?

If I went through the trouble of removing it, I'd replace it. 49$ from NAPA. Changing one I would guess is easy. It's installing one on a truck that didn't have one that sucks. Once I got the freeze plug out the rest was easy. Still gonna be messy though. Even with draining the rad you will still get a bath.

yeah Dave if you take it out Id replace it, dealer also has them for cheep, 42 IIRC, just held in with a allen, loosen that and it will come out. Atleast thats how the dealer one I got is :)

It wouldn't have been that big of a deal if the frost plug dropped into the water jacket. I've had it happen several times. Usually the only way to get them out. I grab with a vice grip and use the block for a fulcrum. The plug will pop right out. The laying in the anti-freeze does suck hard.
I wouldn't take the chance of reinstalling a used heater. There are different wattage heaters. From 650-1000. I've never had a problem with napa [pyroil] heaters. I usually have mine plugged in any time it's below 20 degrees. This morning my outlet must have died. -20 out and a no start on the 95. The 92 wasn't plugged in either but at least it fired. Wouldn't refire though.

It wouldn't have been that big of a deal if the frost plug dropped into the water jacket. I've had it happen several times. Usually the only way to get them out. I grab with a vice grip and use the block for a fulcrum. The plug will pop right out. The laying in the anti-freeze does suck hard.
I wouldn't take the chance of reinstalling a used heater. There are different wattage heaters. From 650-1000. I've never had a problem with napa [pyroil] heaters. I usually have mine plugged in any time it's below 20 degrees. This morning my outlet must have died. -20 out and a no start on the 95. The 92 wasn't plugged in either but at least it fired. Wouldn't refire though.

Damn and i thought it was cold here at 13*F. -20*F i'm guessing. Jeez. :eek:

NAPA one is exactly like factory with the allen key. Not to mention if you remove yours and try to bend the wings in to reinstall I would think they will snap even though the NAPA says you can do it.

Nasty old soft plugs is why whenever I have an engine out of the rig, it gets new freeze plugs.

Out here even though we don't have rust much the freeze plugs rot out from the inside out and then one day they pee all the green out all over.

Missy

I told you I liked the circulating heater......

What makes it worse is I have a circulating one on the shelf from one of the big trucks. Oh well. It's done and works well. Then yesterday the one in my L8000 crapped out. The plug itself actually has a circut breaker in it which popped and would not reset. I cut it off and put a regular plug on it. It works fine now. Never saw that before.

Back