• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Block heater for IH 484

Michaeljp86

EVIL GENIUS
Reaction score
Id like to put a block heater on the 484 but theres no freeze plugs to use for one. Anyone know of anything that works good? Ive seen some that stick to your oil pan but Id like something not stuck under there to get ripped off.

I'm not sure how them stick on ones work, could you just use it when you need it and remove it before going in the field?

Google pad heaters... I forget the site... maybe they have something

Yeah i would go with a magnetic heater it will be the easiest thing to do. That IH doesn't have a heater on it where you just turn the key for so many seconds before cranking?

I had a canister type heater on my 656 that connected to a heater hose going to the heater in the Curtis cab. I believe it came from Curtis with the package and worked real well. Sorry I sold the Tractor so I don't have any info on it but if Curtis is still in business, they might.

On edit: I see Curtis doesn't have anything but I found a tank type here:
http://www.tractorpartsinc.com/tank_type_heaters_270_ctg.htm
They also have some other types

Yeah i would go with a magnetic heater it will be the easiest thing to do. That IH doesn't have a heater on it where you just turn the key for so many seconds before cranking?

This tractor is a ether start, it has a canister of ether on it and you would hit a button and squirt some starting fluid into the intake. It fires up in the summer time so I figured with a warm engine it should in the winter.

ok i thought that it might have a either start but wasnt sure. I know that our ford 6600 has a glow plug in the intake that heats the air going into the engine up before you crank it works pretty good.

ok i thought that it might have a either start but wasnt sure. I know that our ford 6600 has a glow plug in the intake that heats the air going into the engine up before you crank it works pretty good.

My dads JD has glow plugs and I think preheaters in the intake manifold. It will fire up first try in sub zero temperatures. It has a block heater too that works really nice.

Yeah all of our Case IH tractors have block heaters but the only one we really have to use it on is the one with a Perkins engine in it doesnt like cold weather. The other ones with cummins in them fire right up normaly but of course our winters dont get as cold as yours.

Yeah all of our Case IH tractors have block heaters but the only one we really have to use it on is the one with a Perkins engine in it doesnt like cold weather. The other ones with cummins in them fire right up normaly but of course our winters dont get as cold as yours.

A friend has a new McCormick with a perkins and it wont start in the cold. Last year I got behind on getting everything put up for the winter. The JD was outside for months and wasnt started for probably 4 weeks. I think it was -10 and I jumped in it and ran the glow plugs for about 30 sec cranked it over and it didnt start, ran the plugs for maybe 10 sec turned it over and put the foot throttle to the floor and it jumped to life with cloud of black smoke.

The guy with the McCormick cant get his going in the 30s. The Jd will start in the 30s without running the glow plugs. The JD must just be a better machine :thumbsup:.

Sounds about like what our Perkins does but one thing we have noticed about it is it will never turn over fast enough it only has one battery in it from the factory really needs two batteries in it like all of our other Case tractors. But we keep it at home and feed with it every day so we just plug it up in the morning. In my opinion there is not that much difference in the new tractors. Just what color you like seeing sitting in the shed. But back on topic did you check out that link i posted up any of those heaters should work for you.

Sounds about like what our Perkins does but one thing we have noticed about it is it will never turn over fast enough it only has one battery in it from the factory really needs two batteries in it like all of our other Case tractors. But we keep it at home and feed with it every day so we just plug it up in the morning. In my opinion there is not that much difference in the new tractors. Just what color you like seeing sitting in the shed. But back on topic did you check out that link i posted up any of those heaters should work for you.

My dads JD has one JD strong box battery, that thing will crank all day and not run down.

I looked at the link you had, I wonder how well those magneting heaters work.

I had a tank type heater in the barn that I put on the 484 the other day. I havent tried it out yet.

Back