• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Block fill? splayed mains? etc.....

great white

Reaction score
My ol 98 is "rattling on" just fine for now. But with around 350,000 kms on the short block and lots of blow by, it's nearer the end than the beginning.

I'm relatively certain I'm going to swap in an LB7 when it dies, but that's one heck of a lot of work. Nothing I can't handle, but it'll be niether quick nor easy.

I was thinking a P400 might be the way to go, but reports of around 10 grand for a long block/drop in makes the LB7 a much more attractive option IF you can find a wrecked truck. But you're probably going to be in to an LB7 swap for around 10 grand also when it's all said and done.

But..........

What if a fella were to block fill to the bottom of the freeze plugs in a crack free 6.5 block?

Assuming you could find a crack free block that is.....:rolleyes5:

The castings would still be inherently thin and the material still suspect, but the added mass might be able to help stabilize the lower end. Splayed mains might make it even more robust as they'll be feeding stress into the block lower skirts, which would be shored up by the block filler.

I've read a few odd posts here and there on different sites, but does anyone have any experience actually running a filled block on the street?

Seems the few bits I've read indicate a slightly higher running temp (makes sense) and hotter oil temps. A bit of extra oil cooling capacity may help there...

I've seen some really high HP blocks at the track run filler, but that's only 2-5 minutes running at a time at most and they're filled like Heaths LSR truck (just short of the deck). Obviously not good on the street.

I've also been told by guys running filled blocks that anitfreeze is a "no no" as it breaks down teh filler over time and piston skirt scuffing ends the enignes useful life after a season or two at most. Even if the block is filled with a torque plate and bore/honed after the filler has set for a month or so.

Anyone think that the ol 6.5 can be saved for long term use, or should I just give it up and keep watching for a wrecked LB7?

An LB7 sure would have more power producing potential...clever little isuzu engineers that they are....and my moates RR emulator "guts kit" would slip right into the the PCM and allow real time "on the fly" tuning......

Feel free to discuss.

:cool:

Besides Bill LSR he told me he fills all the blocks he builds. I was suprised at how full he filled them as it would make block heaters impossible. Splayed mains have been done numerous times on 6.5s. Not sure if they were done with both though. As far as block filling to the bottom of the freeze plugs I wouldn't bother. My finger as a guage tells me there's only about 1" below the bottom of the plugs

It's all been done, BJ, but the question isn't always 'Can I?' ... sometimes, it's 'Should I?'. Bill fills all his, and Jason (Jasonsmack) from Saskatchewan filled the last one he was building, but I'm not sure that's the best idea for an engine taht needs to run in Canada in the winter ... even if you ARE in Lotusland.

There have been several successful builds with new blocks (Ratman comes to mind, along with a few others), even using chinese castings with good results. The same things come up again and again... watch for quality control, flush everything and check all the passages, etc.

Robyn (MissyGoodwrench) finished one not too long ago, as I recall, and there are a few guys running these as well.

http://online.hiperformer.com/65dieselengine.html

Fermanator put an LB7 in his 'Burb, which is sweet, but as you say, a lot of work. Rigger and a few others went with the Cummins 12v or 12bt and I've even seen a Mitsubishi in one... these are great trucks - even after the 6.5 dies... they're worth putting the thought and time into.

I just think that for 10 grand, you will be able to buy yourself a newer truck with an LB7 on board.

If not, spend $2500, build up or buy a 6.2/6.5 hybrid motor either yourself or from Diesel Depot and go another 350K.

Just the opinion of a koook on the internet!

LB7 for no less then 20-25 grand? where u lookin man? I have seen tuns around 3-5 grand running. where u located in canada? kijiji is a good site to for cheap trucks

LB7 for no less then 20-25 grand? where u lookin man? I have seen tuns around 3-5 grand running. where u located in canada? kijiji is a good site to for cheap trucks

Vancouver island.

For reference, my 98 6.5 was asking 7500, I got it for 5,000. And that's an average price for these trucks here.

If you watch craigs list, you can find 92-93 ish 6.5 trucks for around 1-3 grand.

Best price I've seen for a high milage dmax is 15,000 around these parts.

I can't wait to get off this miserable island and out of this PITA province. They weren't joking when they said BC = Bring Cash...

One good thing though:

When I finally move back east, my 98 will be relatively rust free. All the newer trucks (IE gmt800 LB7's) will be rotted out from rust and I'll be able to snag one cheap with a decent drivetrain...they usually rust away own home long before the drivetrain wears out.

Back