• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Block Drain Plug

preachermic

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install a tank type engine heater on my truck and I was wanting to know where I could find a drain plug on the lower block. There seems to be a plug of some sorts beside the middle freeze plug. Would that be it or what would be the best way to go about the installation as the directions that came with it don't make a lot of sense to me. Thanks for any help.

I think if you want to drain the majority out of the block, use the drain valve on the lower driver side of the rad. The lower hose should drain most of the block once the rad and upper block are empty. As far as the block heater, I am sure it just fits into the frost plug hole. Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers,
Mike

The tank type heater plumbs into the cooling system. I want to pull coolant from a drain plug and then splice into a heater hose to get circulation. Or at least that's the way I understand that this thing works.

Ok, I misuderstood. Sorry. I have no experience with circ heaters on our trucks, just on tractors, so I am not the one to chime in. I am sure someone else has done it.

The block drain plugs on the 6.5's are behind the motor mounts unfortunatly. So you won't be able to just unscrew it and tap that for the coolant circulation.
Don

I am getting ready to install a tank type engine heater on my truck and I was wanting to know where I could find a drain plug on the lower block. There seems to be a plug of some sorts beside the middle freeze plug. Would that be it or what would be the best way to go about the installation as the directions that came with it don't make a lot of sense to me. Thanks for any help.

Hi preacher,
I installed one of these heaters last year, and this is what I did:
In the line that goes from the lower rad hose to surge tank, I cut in a T fitting, 3/4 x 3/4 x 5/8, on the side of battery box support ( pass side), as low as possible, I mounted the unit. in the heater hose that runs from heater to radiator, I originally put another T ( all 5/8s) , but that did not heat block well, as the hot water from heater could go through radiator to lower hose without going through block, so I modified that by using a ball valve between the T and radiator, that forces water to go through heater core, then into coolant crossover, into each head, then through block and back to lower hose. Now, after about a hour, maybe and hour and half if really cold out, not only is block and heads all warmed, but windshield is usually clear and heater is warm as soon as you start up. I made the T's up using brass plumbing fittings and hose barbs (home depot) and used an elbow and two hose barbs to make the turn into inlet side of heater, as it was doubtful that radiator hose bent that tight would flow much.

94k30, could you post some pics of your setup? I am interested in looking at it.

Thanks.

94k30, could you post some pics of your setup? I am interested in looking at it.

Thanks.

sorry guys, I was away for about 10 days, had to go to NH and do a roof on my buddy's house....
as soon as I get a chance, I will take some pictures and post.....

Back