• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blew a new one up this week

ghostrider500

Always stirrin' the pot
Reaction score
Had my Annual Training this week with the National Guard, and much to my surprise, I had a brand spankin' new rebuilt Hummer(M1097) sitting in the parking lot for my command vehicle. Went to South Dakota and, to make a long story short, at 1477 miles it threw a rod. I'm pretty sure it had a cooling issue, but Maintenance wasn't concerned.:nonod: I'm almost inclined to find the block serial number and post it so no one here accidently buys it.:D
What a disappointment.:skep:

Was it a P400?
After seeing how many good take out engines they leave out in the rain without the caps, it's not surprising that they didn't care. Taxpayers will buy more for them ,no questions asked.

Well you have to get the fresh rebuild bugs out sometime. Sadly some things are not so simple to fix...

Who did the rebuild? Tell them to join this site to learn how to do it correctly, as we have some of the smartest and best members of the 6.2/6.5 diesel engines. ;) :rof:

If it's anything like me experience in the miltitary, they it did it the hardest, longest and most backwards way possible.

Most likely it was "rebuilt" at the Sustainment Maintenanace level by some civilians. When we (the military mechanics) get the new engine, it's in a crate already assembled and basically ready to drop in the vehicle.

If it's anything like me experience in the miltitary, they it did it the hardest, longest and most backwards way possible.

Double_FacePalm.jpg
[/IMG]

Most likely it was "rebuilt" at the Sustainment Maintenanace level by some civilians. When we (the military mechanics) get the new engine, it's in a crate already assembled and basically ready to drop in the vehicle.

The Hummer was put together at the RSMS in Texas. Not sure where the motor was rebuilt as I couldn't find any tags on it. We got 5 newly rebuilt Hummers and 4 went down in under 2,000 miles. The other three were transmission related; ECM were bad or loose wiring caused by incorrect size connectors.

When we (the military mechanics) get the new engine, it's in a crate already assembled and basically ready to drop in the vehicle.

True. I have seen lines of these sitting in warehouses waiting for deployment.

True. I have seen lines of these sitting in warehouses waiting for deployment.

The current military maintenance thought process is to "replace forward and repair in the rear", which is to get the equipment "back in the fight" as quick as possible.

Example: A hummer starts losing coolant and smoking white..... let's say for arguments sake it's a bad head gasket. The military would rather change the entire engine to fix the problem. It's acutally is doctrine...... Then send the "old" engine back to the states and tear it down, inspect, and replace the head gasket or whatever was wrong with it. If it needs new bearings, rings, etc etc....it will also get done at that time. Then put that engine back into a shipping container and eventually back into the next hummer that needs an engine for whatever reason.

Back