• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blew A Hole In My DownPipe!!!

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
Ok, so I was at my Friends re-deployment Party the other night (he's getting shipped out again with the NAVY) and he's heard all about my Truck and how Baddass it is and all, so as soon as I get there, he asks me to take him for a ride before I get too many Drinks in me :biggrin5: Ofcourse I say "let's roll" and we go. So out on our "ride" I come out of a Stop Light and put my Foot through the Floor 1st-4th. We are Hauling some serious ass by the Time I get to 4th, and the Trans. shifts into 4th than we hear BOOOOOM!!! CLANK CLANK RATTLE RATTLE..... You can imagine what I was saying when I heard this, then after I calm down, I say "I think I just blew up my Turbo."

So we get back to his house and I pop the Hood, everything looks good. Pop off Intake Pipes and the Turbo is still intact. Start the Truck back up and go down the Road and all is well, just a Metal Rattling & Clanking sound.

I get home later that Night, then the next Morning I go out to Inspect things in the Daylight. I can't find anything. I start at the back of the Truck and make my way Forward. I get to the Front Pipe, and I hit it. Clank Clank, Rattle Rattle. Sounds like there's 100 Marbles in there rattling around. So I look at all the Exhaust Hangers, Flange between Front Pipe & Mid Section, V-Band, everything is nice and tight and where it should be.

I pop off my Passenger Side Fender Liner and BOOM!! I find the problem. Apparently the Weld for the Mounting Tab gave out on my Diamond Eye DownPipe, and along with it, it took a Chunk of Metal about the size of a Half Dollar with it.

So now I have a hole the size of, or a lil bigger than a Half Dollar in my DownPipe. NOT HAPPY.

I e-mail Diamond Eye, and they ask for all my Info (address, name, number, where I bought the Pipe, all that stuff) and they say it shouldn't be a problem with getting me a replacement. I shoot them back my Info, and I don't hear from them for almost a week.

I get nervous, start looking for places to buy a new one from, and right as soon as I'm about to buy the new one, I hear from them and they say a new one is on the way with a Return Label for the broke one.

But yea, if you got the Diamond Eye DownPipe, CHECK IT!! Check the Weld for the Mounting Tab and see if it's starting to Fail.

Yep. But atleast it was something simple like that that's easy to fix.

...But I still can't drive the Truck until it's fixed. :(

Nope, the Pipe looks Brand New, only been on the Truck for less than a Year. I got some other input, and some people are saying my Drivers Side Motor Mount might be shot, and that's what caused it. Seems like the Motor Mounts on these Trucks aren't that good.

...Just another thought, but would SEVERELY Warped Brake Rotors have an effect on this? Like it's bad enough, that when I hit the Brakes, the whole damn Truck shakes pretty bad.

Nope, the Pipe looks Brand New, only been on the Truck for less than a Year. I got some other input, and some people are saying my Drivers Side Motor Mount might be shot, and that's what caused it. Seems like the Motor Mounts on these Trucks aren't that good.

...Just another thought, but would SEVERELY Warped Brake Rotors have an effect on this? Like it's bad enough, that when I hit the Brakes, the whole damn Truck shakes pretty bad.

Good god man, what do you do to this truck? Motor mounts, blown downpipe, warped brakes? Sounds like someone's flogged the shit outta it.

Unlikely warped brakes could do that, but if the vibration was bad and happening long enough, could contribute...

I don't do anything to it. ALOT of Guys have been saying the Motor Mounts are $hit on these Trucks, and they even have a HIGH Failure Rate on 100% Stock Trucks. The Warped Brakes happened the Week I got my Truck, some B*tch decided to Stop in the middle of the lane infront of me on a 55mph Road, and I had to Lock my Brakes to avoid Hitting her. Therefore, the Brakes did not have enough Time to "bed" and that is what caused that.

could be motor movment tweaking the hardpoint on the downpipe too.... maybe? stock motor mounts are gonna allow some give, and evn a little on something hard mounted like the dp is could put some strain on the mounting tab.

anyone else ever have this problem??

Back