• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Blackstone Oil report - Anti Freeze!!! Help!

03WIDEMAX

BFT
Reaction score
Ok I need help from the throbbing brain that makes up DTR. I've owned this truck for about 9 months. This past May I had all the injectors replaced under warranty. They changed the oil and filter when they did the injectors. I just changed the oil last week and sent it in to the lab and the report came back with some of the metals high and also there is anti-freeze in the oil. I checked the recovery tank and there is black soot residue ringing the inside. The truck has 136,000 miles on it right now. What tests need to be done to find the leak? Where do I start? How often should I change the oil until I find the problem? Any help is appreciated! :cheers2:

Attachments

• oilreports[1].pdf
    38.8 KB · Views: 10
The '03 LB7 does not have EGR.

Looks like the mechanic didn't do a good job when he changed the injectors.

I would take this report and the truck right back to the dealer that changed the injectors. It sounds like they didn't properly install the injector cups allowing coolant to leak into the crankcase.

I would insist that this be documented in the truck's records, in case you have a bearing failure in the future.

The '03 LB7 does not have EGR.

Looks like the mechanic didn't do a good job when he changed the injectors.

I would take this report and the truck right back to the dealer that changed the injectors. It sounds like they didn't properly install the injector cups allowing coolant to leak into the crankcase.

I would insist that this be documented in the truck's records, in case you have a bearing failure in the future.

Not sure I can prove that it's related to the injector replacement, because I don't have a long history with the truck. It could have been leaking into the oil before the injectors were replaced. Are there any tests to determine where the coolant is getting in? It could be a head or intake gasket, it could also be a cracked head or loose bolts. Where do I begin my search?

Black soot in the surge tank usually means head gasket(s) :( Are the radiator hoses rock hard?

or just old grungie residue. very common. the coolant in the oil, i would see how much was there. if the tech pulled some injector cups while doing the injectors coolant gets everywhere. it gets into the oil pan and in the head and cylinder. it could be some residual oil that just did not drain from the oil change. if you have never experianced the amount of coolant from an injector cup first hand you wont understand. here we have a vacuum pump we use to suck the coolant out of the cylinder. we have it on hand for each job just in case and we catch alot of the coolant before it has a chance to go everywhere. please have the dealer do a search as to what parts where billed and see if the injector sleeve/s were done. if so wait another oil change if the oil looks good and see the results then.

or just old grungie residue. very common. the coolant in the oil, i would see how much was there. if the tech pulled some injector cups while doing the injectors coolant gets everywhere. it gets into the oil pan and in the head and cylinder. it could be some residual oil that just did not drain from the oil change. if you have never experianced the amount of coolant from an injector cup first hand you wont understand. here we have a vacuum pump we use to suck the coolant out of the cylinder. we have it on hand for each job just in case and we catch alot of the coolant before it has a chance to go everywhere. please have the dealer do a search as to what parts where billed and see if the injector sleeve/s were done. if so wait another oil change if the oil looks good and see the results then.

I agree

I would IF it was my truck flush the coolant and do a oil change and retest again. I'm going on memory here but I recall long ago back in the Diesel Place days when individuals were doing oil analysis a certain amount of coolant was a false positive (?) or acceptable. Something to do with a element in the report showing up which then was reported as coolant.

In MOST cases coolant will ONLY enter the cylinders by injector cup or headgasket thus burning out to exhaust or pressurizing your coolant system. I haven't heard of coolant entering the crankcase only with SERIOUS internal carnage or possibly a turbo issue. I doubt very highly you have a headgasket issue which is causing coolant to enter the crankcase.

Back