• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Black Algee

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had black algae in their gas tanks. I was additives and everything and I had black algae so bad that it completely plugged my pick up and then ruined my Injector pump. The only thing I can think of was 1 1/2 years ago I was traveling and was on I-10 witch has nothing on it for long ways and needed fuel. well i ended up having to goto a litle hole in the wall gas station and I filled up. About 10 miles later my truck was blowing white smoke had no power and was missing. I was pulling my 29' TT so I nursed it to the nearest truck stop about 30 miles away and dumped enough fuel dryer for about 200 gallons. With in the next 10 minutes the truck came back to life and was fine. never had a problem since then the algae came into play. I had no Idea that would happen because I figured after I emptied that tank then refilled it and so on I would have no water left so how could this happen. and how do you prevent this from happening? It's not like I could just go home and drop my tank. I was 400 miles from home.

I think loosing the in-tank sock, and putting a changeable filter pre-LP would catch all the algae, if not, the fuel manager filter should grab it well before it hits the IP.

Anyone know the size of algae compared to the fuel mgr filter?

Junk in Diesel Fuel tank okay thanks.

Gonna move it to fuels maybe more responses there, yes if at one time you got a lot of WIF, or let it sit and lot of condensation collected in it can grow algae, you'll have to drop tank to clean it, or get a biocide from a marine supplier that handle additives for marine Diesel fuel ie Boat USA or West Marine, stuff they have is for " killing tough bugs", stuff in vehicle additives is more for prevention than treatment after the fact. Have plenty of filters as it may plug 1st once stuff starts dying off.

Back