• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bio D and EGTs?

Drago

Reaction score
I've been following the WMO and EGT thread and was wondering if EGT was a concern with B100, My guess is since BioD has less BTUs than Petro D the temps should be the same or lower. At present I've no way of monitoring my EGT. Does anybody got the data on this?

I have seen lower EGT with B99 and less smoke. I have added more fuel via a tune and/or fuel screw and can smoke B99 just as well as #2. Same with EGT and more B99 fuel. 10% less MPG is normal without adjustments.

Biodiesel has other concerns like different cetane rating and evaporation being a lot less than #2. This means the fuel retards your timing slightly in reference to when the fuel ignites. This also means some of the B100 runs down the cylinder walls into your engine oil. Oil analysis doesn't report B100 in your oil as fuel dilution. Only a lower viscosity will let you know you have a lot of B100 in your oil. it doesn't evaporate like #2 will from your oil.

So even though B100 has less energy (lower EGT vs. #2) it's later lighting can raise EGT back up.

So it's a wash then? I plan on loading the truck up with 2200 Lbs and driving a hundred miles on a monthly or more basis

On a stock tune it isn't a concern. Again I have seen less smoke and lower EGT by switching fuel. Come to think of it my peak boost went down a little on B99. May (not likely) trip a boost code on the newer stuff like your truck.

On a stock tune it isn't a concern. Again I have seen less smoke and lower EGT by switching fuel. Come to think of it my peak boost went down a little on B99. May (not likely) trip a boost code on the newer stuff like your truck.
Might be something to that, I'm not coding but my turbine is not the same "pitch"

If you are following your MPG closely you can experiment with B50 or other ratios. There is a point in theory where the MPG stays the same on Bwhatever vs #2 diesel. Cost for the fuels may make B100 cheap enough for the 10% MPG difference not to matter.

When you get paid by the mile fuel is 50% or more of your cost per mile (towing).

If you are going to do a lot of this keep track of the RPM your engine runs and how much power it takes. Then you can decide if you want to go NA or bigger turbo for more MPG. NA I would just get another truck...

I bought the truck for 3200 plus Leroy PMD, should be easy to estimate mileage since I got that new see thru fuel tank now

I ran several tanks of B99 recently, and I did not notice much difference with EGT's. I do not have gauges yet either, but the regular gauges don't change at all from using #2 diesel from pumps. Mileage did not drop off that much either. I run a Hypertech #3 tune.

I got my cost per gallon to $2.10 so even with a 10% drop in MPG I think I'm ahead. Of course the 2.10 doesn't include the tank I had to drop and new filters nor labor

I ran several tanks of B99 recently, and I did not notice much difference with EGT's. I do not have gauges yet either, but the regular gauges don't change at all from using #2 diesel from pumps. Mileage did not drop off that much either. I run a Hypertech #3 tune.

The Duramax engine (2008 anyway) likes to run a high gear and lets things heat up. This heat causes the ignition delay to decrease in effect advancing the timing. Pulling my 28' trailer up a slight grade that wouldn't cause a downshift the ECT would move the numb gauge. During the pull in high gear you could hear a gas engine like ping. This ping was less loud with B99 vs. #2. (Same grade different day and fuel.) IMO GM didn't back the timing off when temps IAT and ECT rose. Also GM needed to downshift out of 6th more with ECT and load. Never put EGT on that truck, but, ran 1300 gal of B99 through it one year.

The only place I notice ECT differences is full fuel (WOT) long enough for the EGT gauge to stabilize with a load. Otherwise you are using 10% more fuel at less than full throttle to keep rolling the same speed and EGT will be close.

Back