• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bilstein front bushings gone!

GMCYA

Resident Coonass
Reaction score
I have had my bilstein's on for exactly one year and the lower front bushings are gone, I can see daylight inbetween the shock mount and the bolt. I can post some pics tomorrow. I was initially impressed with these shocks over the ranchos and now this. Am I the only one with htis kind of luck here?

Since I'm about due for some new shocks, I'm gonna be interested in this thread. I was going to go Bilstein but...

that is not good, that means they broke completely and fell off. hmmmmm. maybe nick has seen this before. i hope.

I called bilstein this morning and the first thing the girl said when I told her it was the 5100 series on a 2500 hd she said oh, you need to speak to shane in Cali. I heard her mention something about a washer issue??? She was talking to a supervisor and was told to transfer me so apparently I am not alone. I sent an email to warranty@bilstein dot com as instructed and waiting for a response. I will keep this thread updated for anyone else that has issues. Anyone else with these please go check your front lower bushings.

This is a super easy one....

1. What model (Color) shock do you have?
2. Front end turned up with the torsion bars?

Remember Bilstein's have different models just like tires. If you put the wrong load range on a truck the tire might blow, not the company's fault. The main thing that happens is the wrong Bilstein is matted to the wrong set up and you will get a failure. Bilstein's are the leading shock on the market for a great ride and over all long life. We will get you all fixed up on your problem.

my lower fronts were fine...I did have the passenger side upper fall apart...it may have been my fault from cranking the torsions up too much and the shock topping out...or tightening the nut too much...

I just gave the shocks to steve (dura-ration) when I put my 9000 XL's on...

Since I'm about due for some new shocks, I'm gonna be interested in this thread. I was going to go Bilstein but...

I'll be the one that advises AGAINST Bilkstein.....because Bilkstein is one of the most problematic shocks I've ever seen.

Horrible coatings, substandard parts, etc....I'm glad I can bring you this info, before you make an uninformed decision.

Bilsteins coatings, even though they changed it a little,.. they are still horrible

Here are a bunch of different people commenting on them...you be the judge

Love my bilsteins. The only complaint I have about them is keeping them looking good. I made the mistake of not clearing them and the other day after our first snow fall the salt did a job on them. I wash the truck and tried polishing them quick to see If I could get them clean up and by the looks of it, its going to take alot of elbow grease

i was going to buy those when i originally put my lift on, but money ran short... anyways, keep in mind those are painted silver, not bare like other bilsteins. saw some on a lifted yukon last spring that looked like crap; in the corners where the resi is mounted they were pretty badly rusted.. road salt sucks.

These useless bilsteins are just too much upkeep for me, and ive decided to just go a completely different route.

Man, after seeing my buddy's shocks....I'm sure glad I didn't get Bilsteins. With all of the rain we get up here and the truck being my daily driver, I'd be cleaning them all of the time.

I bought these shocks about 6 months ago, misunderstanding the shock travel with the previous owner; I knew they would work but limit my downtravel, so i just kept it on the road since installing them on my truck.

These shocks were advertised to me as having an aftermarket ceramic coating on them...they looked pretty good when I got them, but progressively went downhill in the rust prone environment that i live in.

I am not the best at keeping my truck clean, and im sure this has accelerated the problem, but in spots the coating is getting surface rust. I honestly have not even tried to polish them...im not a big fan of polishing anything.

I'm not trying to start arguments,..that is not my intentions,...my intentions are to bring ALL the info I can,..to help my fellow Truck Enthusiast friends...I just want anyone that is considering dropping their hard earned money to be WELL informed of the products they plan on purchasing...

And if you still refuse to listen to all the people I quoted........here ya go....6 months old...in a cold, salt water, and road salt environment..

31390.jpg

and another persons problems with bilsteins.

692711.jpg

672696.jpg

and because he didn't listen when everyone told him not to buy them, and he didn't have the money to buy new ones

he ended up spray painting them..

692712.jpg

Take all this info with a grain of salt,...all I can say is....if you still buy Bilksteins,.....good luck.

This is a super easy one....

1. What model (Color) shock do you have?
Silver/nickel black boot recommended by them
2. Front end turned up with the torsion bars?
Yes, I have the 0-3" shock as recommended by them.

Remember Bilstein's have different models just like tires. If you put the wrong load range on a truck the tire might blow, not the company's fault. The main thing that happens is the wrong Bilstein is matted to the wrong set up and you will get a failure. Bilstein's are the leading shock on the market for a great ride and over all long life. We will get you all fixed up on your problem.

No pics today it is raining

No pics today it is raining

haha...who is them? Recommended doesn't tell me what they are. Sorry just really being detailed so we don't over look something here. If you bought the shocks from me then you are covered and can pm me your info you purchased under and I will get it taking care of right away. If you bought them some where else "them" ? Not sure, then I can give you my suggestion to fix the problem.:thumbsup:

"Them" is bilstein customer service. I tend to over research my purchases and called "them" directly, explained exactly what was done to my truck, and "they" gave me the recommendation. I will have to dig for the receipt as I do not remember exactly who I ordered them from. After the BS I went through with the broken Ranchos, which I still have that I need to send back, I made damn sure that I contacted the company to ensure that I was getting exactly what I needed. After looking at it again this morning it seems that the bushing was too soft as there is small beads or pieces of the original bushing that wore off around the mounting bracket. Being taken care of is one thing, the simple fact that I am having this issue after one year is BS, especially since I had to endure countless sales pitches about why I should replace the rancho's with "these" .

Really what is going on might be a over view witch will be easy to fix or get the understanding of the problem. FYI... The Yellow Bilstien's #BE5-6081-H0 are about 5/8" shorter than full OE suspension travel, so if you find your self topping that shock out you will damage it or the bushings. The #BE5-D146-H0 comes up just shi of full travel and also you might see some lower bushing damage. Now you might be saying at this point WTF...right, well yea, WTF. When IFS 8-lug Chevy owners turn the front end up the suspension tops out faster and more often and a shock that is limiting travel will get damaged.

So my next question is how far are you turned up on your torsion bars? Not turns on the adjuster bolt, best way to spec is to look at how much space is between the UCA and frame stop because that is a direct relation to how high the truck is sitting.

Again I am looking for the answer of why you have a failure and looking at the front end spec might give us alittle more info.

I am running the yellow Bilsteins, Nick, and the bumpstops are touching the UCAs. My torsion bar settings are stock.

Should I add spacers anyway? I do not see any bushing problems so far, and have been running these for about 4 years and 65k miles.

Thanks,

Bud

I am running the yellow Bilsteins, Nick, and the bumpstops are touching the UCAs. My torsion bar settings are stock.

Should I add spacers anyway? I do not see any bushing problems so far, and have been running these for about 4 years and 65k miles.

Thanks,

Bud

Here is a pic of OE shock and how it limits the travel and the Yellow is the same if not shorter:

image002.jpg

If yours is like this at full drop out then yes adding a spacer would be a good choice. The reason you have not damaged the shock is because you are sitting stock and the suspension has room to drop out. If you where cranked the suspension would top out really fast and hard, damaging the shock's bushings at some point.

I had the same problem with my bilstiens. Kennedy gave me new bushings and a spacer to help make the effective length of it longer. Do not over tighten the top nut, just squish the rubber enough to be flush with the washer. I have been chashing a rattle up front for half a year can't seem to find it. Its not the steering shaft. Its more of a tinny sound with the window down and I can hear clunking with it rolled up.

Nick, while I admire your dedication to this issue, I posted to see if I was the only one to experience this and yes I have swapped the keys with my 01 1500's. The issue I have is that this was ALL explained when I was researching the possibility of purchasing them and I was assured that the part number I was given and what I ordered was EXACTLY what the representative for the company recommended and I did not need to use the extension brackets that I purchased earlier for the rancho's. I even went with one of their recommended vendors, and until I can find that receipt, I do not remember where I ordered them. I have yet to receive a call back or email response from bilstein yet.
I am not going to sit here and try to defend myself to what seems to be insinuations that I was not straight forward with bilstein about my setup and am just now bitching for no reason. That is not me. I am as honest as they come and if a company is going to sell me something based on correct fitment, lifetime warranty, and customer satisfaction, they had better damn well deliver it. I could have easily saved $400 and just had the rancho's replaced. I just want what I was promised and paid for, nothing else, besides maybe pointing out an issue for others to check. I am done with posting until I have a resolution to this issue.

GMCYA, I can understand your frustration but I don't think anyone is asking you to defend yourself. I am just giving you some info to know that may have not been stated to you before. That's fine that you told who ever you talked to what you where doing and at this point I don't think you have said Bilstein has told you to pound sand so this is all just chat and info till you are stuck with no customer service from Bilstein or the person you purchased from. And if you feel I was giving you a hard time about the "them" thing I just didn't know what you meant so that was my question.

To answer you about your first question:

Am I the only one with htis kind of luck here?

No you are not the only guy, there has been many people loose the lower bushing on shocks (bilstein's and others) if the shocks are reducing the over all full travel of the Chevy IFS suspension.

Just trying to help and I am sure it will all work out for you and you will get the proper fix.

gmcya, i dont see any insinuations on nicks part about you ordering wrong ones ect. i think he is just trying to help you figure out why it is happening more than anything.

I apologize if I took it the wrong way and appreciate you trying to help but the main issue I have is that the "them" I refer to is Bilstein themselves. I spoke to two different rep's there and they both confirmed the setup, keys and all, and part number required so I am pretty sure that I never bothered the vendor about it. I am still looking through my email accounts trying to find a receipt but I am almost positive it was John, I just want to be sure. Doesn't really matter as my issue is with the company itself and the shitty response I am getting back or lack there of.

It's totally cool man. It sucks when you take all the time to care and yet you still get a issue. There is only 1 guy in the truck/off road section and yes he is a pain to get but a good guy. I have yet to understand why there is only 1 guy but with the way business is now a days you must stay lean and mean to stay afloat so you can stay competitive with price. My opinion or knowledge is due to having more hands on with the product and multiple off setting issue's. You can only make a product to be so diverse and I really do feel you just had bad luck with the bushing. I have yet to Warr. a Bilstein shock 100%, I also have a email to Bilstein to ask about another shock 1 of our customers is having so I can properly take care of the problem. You have a great shock hands down. Use them for what they are produced for and you have a great riding shock. :thumbsup: Be fair to the time frame as I deal with it as well from them and I am sure you will get it all handled.

So, along the lines of this thread, here's my situation... I have my stock bars cranked (about 9 turns from stock) and still have the stock shocks. When I cranked the bars, as soon as I bought the truck, I also put some 1/2" long spacers on the shock tops. I've not had any extension issues so I was wondering if I need to put in longer shocks when I replace them or just put spacers back on the stock length. I would have liked to put 3/4 to 1" spacers on but there weren't enough threads to go over 1/2".

Back