• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bike PM

saratoga

Unpaid Help
Reaction score
Did my first service on the bike today and have to question the infinite wisdom of the Harley-Davidson engineering dept to seal drain plugs with o-rings and teflon tape. Haven't really seen that technique used in the past, but oh well, changed the o-rings out with some 90 Durometer Viton ones from my handy kit and wrapped the plugs in teflon tape. Also, WTF is the deal with loctite on EVERY fastener? Was it on sale or something? The chin faring that has to be removed to change the filter is held on with about 8 or 9 torx head fasteners, all firmly held in place with red loctite. The inspection cover on the primary which is also the oil fill... more loctite. :banghead:

Changed the oil in the crankcase and primary/transmission with 20W50 Amsoil since the oil sump temp was over 230* :holyshirt: when I checked it after a ride. I will use synthetic in this with oil temps that high.

Good choice! Thanks for the order Grady. Let me know if you notice anything different about the way the shifts feel.

well it has worked for 105 years, so why change it now. The reason for the loc-tite is to combat the harley vibration. Also, have you noticed that harley's don't leak oil anymore? I do have to agree that there is no need for teflon tape on an o-ring boss type plug. You should also be very careful to not over tighten hardware.

Ya I don't get the whole Loctite issue myself every where. I only use it in critical areas. I think today it's more of a safety reason than a vibration one. My 05 Fatboy even solid mount hardly and I should say doesn't vibrate.

You want to talk OVER abuse on Loctite, the guy who did my motor RED loctited the Torx head screws I use on my solo seat. I wasn't aware of it until one day I went to put the stock seat back on to take the wife out and man what a sob they were to get out!

I was like wholly freaking crap!

Gotta love it when the bolt head breaks off cuz of loctite. and your 05 has a "B" motor which stands for counter balancer. But they still don't vibrate like they used too. My banshee with the twin 2 stroke vibs way more than my scootr does. That damn thing needs loctite on everything you want to keep. I even lost my kick stater one time.

It jackhammers a little at idle, but everything else through 7100 RPM (yes, I've bounced it off the rev limiter a couple of times now)... no engine vibration at all, at least no more than any other bike I've ever ridden. Once you're moving, that mounting system that Buell uses does a good job of keeping the vibration at bay. Not sure if this engine is counterbalanced or not.

I haven't ridden it since changing the oil to tell if it's shifting any more smoothly... will report my SOTP feelings when I do however.

Last edited:
Gotta love it when the bolt head breaks off cuz of loctite. and your 05 has a "B" motor which stands for counter balancer. But they still don't vibrate like they used too. My banshee with the twin 2 stroke vibs way more than my scootr does. That damn thing needs loctite on everything you want to keep. I even lost my kick stater one time.

Yea I'm aware of the newer engines and have seen MANY of the old vibrators that's why I guess the old ways of still requiring or 'suggesting' loctite just about every thing still exist today.

I use the blue over the red in most cases. When needed

My newer bikes dont vibrate at all.At least not compared to my 66,and I balanced that motor to the limit to get rid of most of it!!!I'll deal with loctite over lost nuts and bolts any day,but the red one really sucks to get off sometimes.

Back