• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Biggest tire on a 18X10, -12offset

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I decided to go with the Diamo 17K 18X10 with -12 mm offset.

What is the largest tire I could fit without a lift, and the biggest with a lift? (4" Tuff Country).

not sure on that one. the back space is 5" but if that was a 8 inch wide rim it would be a 4" backspace. I have a set of 16 X 8 rims with 4" BS and cant run 285s the way I want because they hit back and front. the front is trimable. the back is a whole nother game. I wouldnt be able to lower the T bars to race I believe that the offset on my rims is the same as yours, just over all BS is less. but I think you would be in the same boat. perhaps someone else will chime in and confirm my thoughts,

If one were to look at it from the standpoint that the smallest BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tire that is recommended for an 18x10 inch wide wheel would be the LT285/65R-18, and if you were to plug those numbers at this website (Wheel & Tire Size Calculator), you will see that, compared to the OEM tires and wheels for a 2006 2500HD, the 285 tires on those 18x10 wheels with -12mm offset will stick out 2.4 inches farther than the OEM tires and wheels.

Inside they should have even more clearance than the OEMs and should be OK, but outside they will very likely require quite a bit of trimming on the fenders and front bumper valance without a lift.

Keep in mind that the further OUT you go compared to the OEM (+28mm) offset dimension, the greater the loads will be on the outer wheel bearings and steering linkage, and the greater the possibilities for premature failure. I would look for a wheel with +10 to +15 mm offset if this were my truck.

Trying to find a wheel that fits and looks good is about impossible...I would be running a 4" Tuff Country if I go with this wheel. I would really like to find a 8" wide. But, I've yet to come up with one that I really, really like..

Discouragement..:doh::D

Just to give you an idea, this is what 18x9's with a 0 off-set look like with just a few cranks on the T-bars. 285/65-18 rubber....

Trying to find a wheel that fits and looks good is about impossible...I would be running a 4" Tuff Country if I go with this wheel. I would really like to find a 8" wide. But, I've yet to come up with one that I really, really like..

Discouragement..:doh::D

Yeah, when you get right down to it, there are not very many choices out there for wheels that are close to the OEM offset.

FYI - The MB Predator is available in 18x8.5 with +25mm offset. It's available as Chromed Alloy or Machined Alloy. If you get real wide tires, you'll want to check to make sure they don't rub on the swaybar or UCA.
mbmprd.am.xl.jpg

They are somewhat similar in appearance to the DIAMO 17K WHEELS. Discount tire sells them. Just a thought :biggrin1:

Just to give you an idea, this is what 18x9's with a 0 off-set look like with just a few cranks on the T-bars. 285/65-18 rubber....

I like the look of the 0 offset. the trick is finding a wheel you like with the right offset.:doh:

Theres a few guys running wheels that stick wayyy out from their truck. Personally I dont like that look on our new trucks, old trucks it looks OK, but not on ours.

As for the tire. I really cant say what you can run as I have no clue whatsoever.

Just listen to the experts on it, if they stick way out your gonna have a lot of stress and rubbing.

It seems like if they stuck out more theyd have less rubbing but its the opposite. And your cab corners arent going anywhere.

My 315/70R17 BFGs (12.5x35 for you standard guys) barely clear the cab corners and required a lot of trimming, banging and zip ties. I still dont know the offset of the hummer rims but its perfect.

or a 4.5 back spacing if I recall factory BS is 4.81 I think also, and they are only 6.5 wide.

Back