• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bigger oil pans

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being around semis and tractors, where crankcase capacity is measured in gallons, i really like the idea of extra oil capacity. So, is there any bigger oil pans on the market for 6.5s?

Any input appreciated, thanks!

Couple of guys have made one special, AFIK no store bought one for the 6.5, consider bypass filtration adds 1-2 extra Qt to system and you get come minor cooling of oil as air passes over the oil filter, also consider adding a Deraile or other trans cooler with electric thermostatic controlled fan, as it will pull trans heat, which adds to heat load radiator has to deal with adding higher coolant temp which in turn makes for higher block & ergo oil temps. Yes GM provided in towing package the tranny & extra oil coole, but works only with air flow acros it, not real handy in stop/go traffic, nor off road crawling, my under bed trans cooler with fan that kicks in with 180F return trans temp keeps in trans pan temp to <200F even when I pull 18K loaded g/n trailer on +100F days. Engine coolant never exceeds 198F

Thanks. i guess i will end up going with a set of bypass filters. Amsoil dual, or FS2500, either one in addition to stock. I will also probably go with a DSG oil cooler kit.

What are the filters made of on each? cotton, paper? IIRC, is the Amsoil a spin on and the FS a canister?

I have a manual, so no needed (or available) fan/cooler systems. I will probably add a Gear Tech HD deep finned aluminum PTO cover with guage sensor provisions for the left PTO Hole (left because of possible clearance and heat transfer on right side w/ the exhaust), and a QK1000 filter for the right PTO hole. Hopefully it will hold about a quart more than factory.:driving:

Last edited:
Back