• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Big Rigs. What do you prefer

My grain truck has a 5x4, it's a gas job but that means a lot of shifts.

Way to go!

The logging outfit had an old International dump truck with a 6V71 and a 5 and 4. Every driver I knew who drove that noisy thing complained about a headache as soon as they go out of it. I'm starting to get one just thinking about it!

This has been really great reading through this thread from post #1 this afternoon. I somehow had never seen this thread before. But I have really enjoyed all the stories you guys have been sharing on here. I remember being a kid on our family summer road trip vacation, and from the first time I remember seeing them, being in love with big rigs out on the roads. It is where I think I got my love of driving my truck so much, especially when I would be driving the country for the pipeline. It is very romanticized, but like it has been said here, you are spending a lot of time away from family.
I certainly don't know anything like you guys do about these trucks, but I'm learning. I really like the look of a Pete. The older ones, nothing too fancy or areo about them... Big, square and just looked like it was meant to work pulling anything and everything for a million miles.

The only real experience I have ever had when it came to anything like a big rig would be when I was about 10 years old, my Dad bought a old Frito Lay semi for picking up and hauling loads for his business. He only had it for about a year. But it wasn't a normal tractor pulling the trailer, but it had more of a bread truck front end. I remember riding with him on a milk crate since the only seat was the driver seat. No A/C, no radio, just two windows that slide open about 10" one on each the driver and "passenger" side. I couldn't find a picture of what the truck looked like, but here is a picture I found of what the trailer looked like.

oldfritolaytruck.jpg

BTW, my favorite part of this thread are all the old pics you guys are posting. I like those ones you put up Mike of the trucks your Dad was driving back in the 50's. Very cool!:thumbsup:

I wish I could remember all of the trucks my dad had when he was still farming. He primarily grew, harvested, and packed his own potatos. He had about 6-8 old Ford COEs with BIG V-8s that were ex-concrete mixer trucks. Those old COEs had 5s & 4s in them, I never got a chance to learn to drive them but my dad can. They were retired in favor of newer Ford LN900s with diesels and, I think, 9 speeds. After he retired from farming one of the things he would do was help a friend out in his auctioneering business driving a boom truck and loading/delivering equipment. It was mid-70s KW W-900 packing a DD 8V-92 Silver Series (warmed up some) with an Eaton-Fuller 13 speed. While farming his primary tractor was a GMC Astro with a DD 6-71 in it, that was fun riding around in. I love me the sound of the Detroits, between riding in the Astro and the W-900 I will always love that sound. One of my favorite trucks is Sledgehammer out of Texas. Guess what moves it? 12V-71TT. :D :D :D

Back in college (80-82) I bought a 69 Hays with a 5x4, 335 Cummins. I bought it at auction and was going to put a grain box on it. Well on the 120 mile drive home I discovered it had a top speed of 40 mph, it was a logging truck:mad2:. That was a long drive home.

I resold it and made 2k:hihi: to an oil field company.

It was a nice looking truck

Another vote for KW................

I'll throw my $0.02 in here.
I like the look of the long hood trucks but I'm really a fan of the old cabovers. I learned to drive in them and still have a couple here for projects. Certainly of the modern trucks I would have to say the T-660 KW. I drove one for two years. I had one of the first of that series to come out and it was a great to truck to drive. It had everything on it including the factory GPS and the Seattle interior and the 86" Studio sleeper. Fine way to get around for sure. It had a C-15 and 13 speed. All that and a Featherlite trailer. What a ride. I miss driving like I was but things in business change and I'm thankful that I am still working for the same company.
My opinion here.
Stay safe out there.
Ken

A beauty I spotted on I80 a while back. Couldn't get the cab while I was driving beside him.

003.jpg

004.jpg

Way coooool.......

Cool ride. That's one from a company in Minnesota. I've seen it at a few truck shows. They have a whole fleet of custom trucks like that. Great PR for their company when you see trucks like that. Too bad there isn't more companies that take that kind of pride in their ride...........
Thanks for sharing it.
Stay safe out there.
Ken

I like that! We have a 478 Toro Flow mid 60's GMC 5500 series wheat truck but that is as big as I mess with. My cousin has a Pete w/ Cummins and 13 speed to pull his 4930 JD sprayer (not 100% positive on the truck specs). I know he has a 3000 gallon tank, 4 250 gallon chem tanks, and the sprayer. The weighed out at 120K with everything full (won't do that again).

drakessprayinsetup.jpg

You're right Justin... That song is awful!:nonod:

I like the back of this trailer though. :thumbsup::hihi:

Oreo.jpg

Back