• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

big claims for a 6.5

great white

Reaction score
800+ lb/ft at the wheels?!?

[video=youtube;VXfmB9N2Qdk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXfmB9N2Qdk&feature=related[/video]

It is a p400 block by his description in the video....but 800+ lb/ft at the wheels?

I dunno.....

He said, "875 Newton Meters at the wheels."
That's only 645 ft lbs of torque.
http://www.convertunits.com/from/newton+meters/to/foot+pounds

He also said it has a forged crankshaft and a 2-piece block ; sounds like a girdle, but I don't know everything.

They seem to talk about a 6.5 that's different from ours, on their website;
"6.5L CHEV DIESEL
Originally designed as a ‘workhorse’ engine by GM division Detroit Diesel, this light truck engine was fitted to Chevrolet & GMC pick-up trucks and SUV’s including the Suburban from 1982 until 2000, at which time this engine was replaced by the 6.6 litre Duramax range. "

OUR 6.5s were originally designed to be cheap to build and economical on fuel, as I have read.

They also say,
"The 6.5 has a lot going for it. It is available with electronic or mechanical fuel injection. There is a 12-volt wire to the fuel shut-off solenoid, and another to the oil pressure gauge, so wiring on the very popular mechanical pump is easy.

This together with sealed hydraulic roller cam followers, a double roller timing chain and mechanical indirect fuel injection make the 6.5 a reliable, low maintenance proposition. For these reasons, this engine is the natural choice for rural Australia, for simplicity, robustness and longevity.
You can expect 500,000 kilometres from a new 6.5."

no news there...

Ahh, N/m makes more sense.

645 ft/lbs still pretty high from the design though. Especially if that's what's measured at the wheels. you can count on around 680-700 at the crank with those numbers.

But it sure sounds like he's talking about a p400 block to me.....that's the only design that "bolts on to the bottom" as he mentions.....

Back