• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

BF Goodrich All Terrain Tires

Lloyd Christmas

Santa's Fake
Reaction score
I am looking to get some new tires to replace the stockers. I want to get some BFG All terrains. For now I am going to get 265's put on the stock wheels for snow plowing. My question is which load range should I get. Load range "D" is rated for 3042lbs, which is rated higher than the stock "E" rated tires. The BFG "E" rated tires are rated for 3415lbs, but is not rated for severe snow.

What is the difference in the snow rating? Is the compound of the tire different?

Also so the D rated tires wear faster than the E's?

Thanks in advance

I'm running the D rated BFG's. 3rd set I have had with no problems. I also pull a 10k camper with out issues.
Not sure about the snow rating but others have said the E rated wear faster.

E-rated tires do not give you as good a ride as D-rated due to being harder compound rubber and extra layers built in to the tire. The D-rated tires should be fine, as long as your not near the MAX on towing anything. For plowing, they should be fine!

I prefer the stiffer sidewall of an E rated tire when pulling.I dont like the "swaying" feeling of softer shouldered tires.You should be fine for plowing though.If you want a taller tire,285's will fit on stock rims just fine by the way.

I'm on my 4th set of BFG ATs. All D range. They've all been excellent. I have 72k on these 285s on stock alloys and I still could get another 5 to 10k if I wanted but will get new ones b4 winter. I did notice they are a bit squishy if I'm tongue heavy on the trailer but that would be my fault for loading wrong. Otherwise they tow just fine.

They are awesome tires BUT........ They are some rock throwin' mo fo's if you drive on gravel.

:mad2:I bought one of the first sets of E rated 265's that came out. The first thing I noticed was that the E rated tires only have about 1/2 the siping of the D rated tires, (this is why the severe snow rating is missing) the next thing I noticed was that the tread depth is 1/32 less than the D's probably to prevent tread squirm. The last comment I have is I could watch them wear out with the tires being 1/2 wore out @10k

I have had the BFG's and will never go back. I absolutely love these Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo's. They are hands down in my experience the best tire I have owned. I liked the BFG's but seemed they didnt last as long. I tow with these everyday and have had 0 problems. I also got the 285's in a D as they were a MUCH better ride then the 265 E's. I had both and decided on the 285's. They are the same weight rating iirc. I do plowing also (run sidewalk crews rather) and dont even put it in 4wd cause these tires are so good. This is just my experience and I think either way you go I'd go with D rating if you want softer ride.

Back