• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best tuner for 08 Cummins

black'doutdmax

Reaction score
Got a customer wanting a tuner for mileage for a 08 Cummings.I have looked at a few different ones but I thought I would ask to see if anybody is running anything and if they liked them.

Thanks
CRAIG

I have had great response on the edge juice/w attitude on the 6.7 as far as milage increases. Of course some tuners make more power, but we have had great results with the edge. We have great prices on them also. The bully dog makes more power but seems to have higher EGT's and the milage hasn't been as good

I have no issues with my Superchips Cortex programmer....good fuel economy on the eco setting, great torque on towing, and its hella quick on extreme.... the best plus is the 2 yr powertrain warranty that comes with the programmer

I have no first hand experince with the 6.7, but where I am working on the pipeline, Cummins are the first choice with the majority a guys there. And have asked around the last few days since I first saw this thread, and there have been a hand full of guys running the Edge on the 6.7. A few of them have an exhaust to go along with the tuner but most of them are stock still and have said that they are going to wait to see what the tuners will do to the new engine and all the exhaust BS before chosing an upgrade. But most all owner are planing on doing aftermarket upgrades.

Will any of the above mentioned tuners work with a cab & chassis configuration? As in a 4500 or 5500 or even the Sterling?

Wait for the Smarty to start shipping for the 6.7

I'm running a Smarty and an Edge on my truck and here's what I see.

Smarty runs MUCH cooler than the Edge does and has a lot more adjustability to it. It's internet updateable and allows you room to grow when you decide to add more mod's to your truck.

Now, ease of use goes to the Edge. It has good safety features and is adjustable on the fly. GREAT box for a beginner and those that just want a little bit of power to play with and it comes with all the guages you need to monitor the vitals.

Fuel mileage goes to the Smarty. You can manually adjust the timing and rail pressure and these are the two big settings that will net you fuel mileage gains.

Either of them make more power than your stock tranny can hold. If you want to play with either of them above the 70 hp mark, you need to AT LEAST upgrade the torque converter and get a performance valve body on the automatic trucks. For the manual guys, anything more than 90hp and you'll need to look at a better clutch setup.

Will any of the above mentioned tuners work with a cab & chassis configuration? As in a 4500 or 5500 or even the Sterling?

I dont belive so there might be a few programmers out there for the the 6.7 CUMMINS (not CUMMINGS) for the 4500 and 5500's. They are tuned different and they dont have all the emission crap as the 6.7 in the 2500/3500 does why they did that im not sure,but my buddy has a 5500 dodge dump with the CUMMINS and 6speed manual and i would almost trade my Dmax on it. LOL

Im thinking im gonna get the PPE. I havnt heard much about them for the 6.7 but i cant imagine i would be dissapointed.

I tried a bully dog power pup and was extremely unhappy with it. The shifting was terrible and the injectors rattled like crazy.

We have sold quite a few Ts performance MP-8's with good luck. It is an in-line type module with a reostat control that is adjustable from 0-100Hp. Keep in mind any tuner or module is going to decrease the life of your DPF.

Back