• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best Front CV Driveaxles

Hunter

Reaction score
Man, I haven't been on here in awhile. I did a quick search with no luck. Anyone out there have an opinion on a really strong front driveaxle replacement? I keep snapping mine in high RPM/torque situations. I did it again yesterday trying to pull my dad's dead backhoe back to the shop.

Now, I fully know this is happening because of my lift kit. At the time I went with what I felt was the best choice for me. It's from Cognito Motorsports. It's the non-T-bar drop 4-6 inch kit. Originally set at 4 inches, I never had any problems. They even say at 4 inches, all geometry is the same based on their desiing (it drops the front diff 4 inches apparently). They too say at 6 inches the drive angles will be slightly off, but should work fine. It does use spacers regardless for the front axles.

Recently, I used a new alignment guy when I put the new tires on it, and he simply couldn't get the camber right. I called Cognito and they recommended their aftermarket (longer) upper A-arms to help with that. It did the trick, but made it a 6 inch lift, so I added the appropriate rear blocks. Now I've broken 3 axles in as many years. Granted, the NAPA Remans I'm putting in there are probably part of the issue. I think I want to try what will be an interim stronger axle at least. Any suggestions? I'll reach out to Cognito again as well.

Eventually, I intend to upgrade the whole front end. Probably keep it IFS, but do a locker, stronger cross shaft and tougher driveaxles. I read an article about all of it, but can't find it right now. But they used these (WARNING: this is insane):

I digress. Short version :What's the best, toughest aftermarket front driveaxle for my truck? Or do you know of a longer axle for lifted trucks?

Thanks!

Found one article. Not the install one, but I intend to do those TufShafts etc. Already have all the steering upgrades.

This is interesting.
I`m waiting until the tires on My truck needs replacing, then, going back to original height tires so I can let the front back down to a closer to original height. it now has 285X75X16s on it, what was on when I bough the truck.
The caster is off on it too, align shop said when I let it back down they could ajust that out. it now pulls slightly to the right, it was that or else have the tires wear bad.
I had never had a thought about how the front CV joints must wear due to the bad angles.
Maybe next tire rotation time I`ll see if they`ll give me some over the 50 dollars they offered me last time I checked on trade in value.
I tried to sell these tires for 100 a tire but got no takers, at that time they were down about 3/32nds on the tread depth. probably 10/32nds remaining.

Back