• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Best brake controller I've owned: Tekonsha Prodigy

Jasondt2001

Lead Slacker
Reaction score
I had a drawtite timer based controller before this one. Being that I haul live loads I wanted it to be the most comfortable ride i could give them back there.

The thing I didn't like about the time based controller was it never felt the same when braking. I know alot of people run these and are happy with them but i swear I don't think i could ever get it set up to run right :cuss:
Everytime I came to a stop sign and then took off the trailer would buck a bit and it made me nuts.
One day i went out and hooked everything up and it refused to recognize the trailer until I shut the truck off and turned it back on then smacked it arounda bit :incazzato:
I figured with upwards of 10k pounds behind me safety wise that was not acceptable.

So on to the brake controller search I went. I really wanted to stay away from the tekonsha because (I know this sounds bad) but the name sounded so chinese...
I kept reading review after review about what a heaven send this thing was and then I knew i had to try it out for myself.
I ordered my Prodigy P3 and the wiring kit (I HIIIIIIIGHLY recommend getting the wiring kit for it, what a SIMPLE install!) from the internet.
In about a week (they were slow...lol) I got it to my door. Come to find out they sent me the Prodigy, NOT the prodigy P3. I really didnt have time to wait so I told them just to refund the different and I'll try this one.
It's MADE IN THE USA Come to find out. Tekonsha is the city it is made in I read!
I've never installed a brake controller, and to be honest I was terrified.
Got under the dash, pulled off the plastic cover on the wiring underneath and unhooked my old drawtite.
mounted my prodigy, plugged in their harness, and finished my install in about 5 minutes - no joke. I LOVE that harness :yesnod: Now, it was a bit long wire wise, so I just wrapped the excess up under the dash and haven't had any problem.

ok, on to the good stuff...
I have towed 2 different trailers since then and couldnt be any happier if i tried.
My stops are great and slow. Not jerky and bumpy. I've heard people say that they can't tell the trailer's back there - Now OBVIOUSLY you can tell it's back there w/ my LQ trailer but honestly, it finally stops right. I'm no longer pulling up to stop signs with white knuckles praying she'll stop before the line.
I come coasting in, apply my brakesand it stops right at the first white line! :)
Now in panic stops, I have NO worries anymore, my truck and trailer stop STRAIGHT with no pushing or swaying now, MUCH safer!
I've also towed a small 2 horse bumper pull. Unfortunately I thought I could leave it at the same setting as the big trailer... :smilielol5: It did GREAT the full 150 miles until I decided I NEEDED to stop for this quick yellow light.
All i can say is, have you ever looked in your rearview mirror and watched a trailer BOUNCE 3" off the ground? I have :eek:10: I'm still suprised my horse loads :ihih:
Once I get it set up for that small trailer though, that one you would't know is back there, it's THAT good!

To set them up, what you do is go on a flat road (Back road) turn the p3 up about 1/2 way. Do 25 mph and with your hand apply FULL brakes to the prodigy, if the trailer locks up back it down. Keep doing that until you can apply FULL brakes on the prodigy w/out the trailer brakes locking up.
Then you're set up.

So the cliff's notes are, if you've thought about it, try it! I LOVE mine!

Last edited:
I'll 2nd that! I have had a few, but the Prodigy is by far the easiest to hook up, and works like a charm. It will instill confidence in anyone who tows!

I love mine too...especially the fact that you can push a button a couple times coming into town to keep it from grabbing so hard. Don't even have to look at it, and don't lose any settings.

I had forgotten the boost feature Ozzie, thank you!

You have 3 steps towards the braking, it 'boosts' the braking power at initial brakes to slow the momentum.
While setting it up, I can't put the horses in it and go lock up the brakes, they'll never load again if I put them through that. So I have to go out w/out horses.
So when I load up my trailer weight changes at least 2500 lbs.
I just put the boost up when the horses are in, and turn it back off when they're out. It's a GREAT feature.

Prodigy all the way.

Without a doubt! I love mine and wouldn't even think of having another one in my truck. The first HD truck I bought ('04 2500HD6.0L) to pull my camper, I left the dealer and headed to the shop that sells the Prodigy. Installed it that night and have never has a problem with it. Out of the 6-8 families that we go camping with every year, I believe all but one or two have the prodigy in their trucks. And I'm sure with a little talking into, the others will make the switch soon. There's just too much as stake when you are towing to have a cheep-o brake controler.

I got one too and was very impressed by the ease of installation by using the plug in harness. No cutting and splicing. Very nice!

I would recommend it to anybody looking to get a brake controller.

I love my P3. Easy to set and like everyone else said, it just stops right. We also have a Prodigy on our work truck and it works great.

I had the Tekonsha Sentinel... but replaced it with a Prodigy a while back...very nice unit...

My first brake controler was a Kesly-Hayes....it sucked

Then I went to a Tekonsha Sentinel, I really liked it. Then shortly after the prodigy came out I drove a buddys truck with it. Well the next week I had one.

I really like the prodigy, especially if you have a couple trailers of different weights, easy to set up, and good braking...

Well,l I'm going to go against the consensus in this thread. IMO the BrakeSmart is a far superior brake controller.

A BrakeSmart controller is way more expensive though.

i've got the next step down "Primus"

works fine, plus it's simple. might upgrade to the prodigy sometime if they're so great

mine does not work right, I can't lock up the tires with it, even with the lever. different truck with same trailer and cheep controller and it will lock them up. it works but not that strong

mine does not work right, I can't lock up the tires with it, even with the lever. different truck with same trailer and cheep controller and it will lock them up. it works but not that strong

Something is not right for sure. I have been able to lock the brakes on any trailer I have used my prodigy with, which is 7 different trailers from a single axle 4000 pouns up to a tripple axle 16000 pounds.

Love my prodigy also. 2 diiferent trailers, one car hauler for the jeep and a 12k dump. Works great for both and easy to adjust. Epecially great with the dump as sometimes it is full of remodel debris and sometimes broken concrete. Lots of different weight scenarios with that setup, and then always empty from the landfill. Mounted mine in the pocket to left of ashtray, but that is on a no center console truck.

Back