• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Belt Problems.

pipelinetrash89

Reaction score
Ok guys, I went to eat this morning and as I was parking I lost all power steering. I got out and popped the hood and my belt came off. I put it back on and I went in and ate, when I came back out and cranked her up it threw it off again and broke it. So I walked the 4 miles to the nearest parts store and got a new belt. Got her running again, but now my tach no longer works. So I'm curious if ya'll think the alt is bad? It has a funny sound coming from under the hood now but only while at some speed.

The broken belt didn't take out any of the alt. wires? If the wires are good then the alt. is likely bad.

No they are all good. It looked like you just pulled it straight forward off all the pulleys the first time. The second time it wrapped itself around the crank, took me a good 30 minutes to get it unwrapped.

yes they do! I just wanted to see what other people thought before I started throwing parts at this thing. I have been noticing that my volt meter was reading all over the place, so I guess it's time for a new alt

Check your idler pulley as they freeze up when they go out. Same with vac pump, alternator, ac pump.

It was the idler. I ordered one when I got the belt and luckily it came in 5 hours later :thumbsup: I'll post up some pictures tomorrow, but it only has about 6 bearings left in it. Got a new alt put on and all is well again :cool:

Lucky you. I had the idler to out south of Rome, OR with the wife and dogs in 100 F heat. Let me tell you that is out in the middle of nowhere. We got towed on a flatbed to Rome which may have a population of 30, but it also has a wrecking yard. I was able to pull the pulley wheel off a Chevy gasser truck and install that on the idler tensioner. Good to go and salvaged the trip. I feel like vineyards are my savior.

That idler pulley should have been screaming at you when it was going out.

Damn iPhone entered "vineyards" when I was typing "boneyards".

ok guys, I now I promised a picture of the idealer wheel. I think it's going to upload? If not I'll try to figure it out and get it uploaded

Back