• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bellhousing to Engine Bolts

daustin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've read that the bellhousing to Engine bolts are 3/8" - 14, and i've read that they are 10mm. I've ran upon a 6.5 recently that i think is a GEP/AM General engine and i'd like to mount it on the engine stand and NOT have it fall on me if possible. :nono: The block has the diamonds, 506 and "dimples", cast date is 04 27 H (maybe M, hard to tell at this point). I'll know more when i can get it up on the stand and pop off the heads..etc. :thumbsup:
Thanks
Don

I have a 2003 GEP/AM General block. The tranny to block bolts are metric. I can't remember the exact size, but I might have a package out in the garage I could go look at if necessary.

I couldn't find any hard "grade 8" metric bolts so I used the "grade 5" ones I could find. I really wrenched on the thing busting the mains loose, and it didn't fall off the stand.

If you could look i'd appreciate it a lot. The engine is an x-military, says GEP on the valve cover and is very very clean. I'm pretty sure the last character is an M, i didn't have a lot of time to mess with it as it was late and i was going to Houston early the next morning. It has the Navistar "diamonds" and the captains bars in the valley, 506 block. It turns over fine, but i'm going to pull the heads, oil pan and rods/mains and at least plastic-gauge them. the guy had 5, told me to pick and if i had any issue come back and swap for another no problem. It was complete with intake, water pump..etc. If it looks as good on the inside as the outside, i might go back and get another for $900. :smile5: I won't have a chance to mess with it until I get back home saturday, and want to jump right on it - thus my question on the bolts to the engine stand, really looking forward to messing with it. I'll take some pics and post, i'm hoping it will be a good foundation for my dually.
Thanks for the help
Don

I called up Peninsular for my water pump. They have brand new take-offs. It came complete with the backing plate and pulley for $65. What a deal! While the engine's out, I'm replacing everything that's a pain to get at. ...bought a crankshaft position sensor from them too.

The 1995 141 block laying on the floor in my garage takes 3/8-16 coarse thread bolts for the bellhousing. Not -14. Standard coarse thread is 3/8-16.

Starter bolt holes must be 10mm though as the 3/8 is too loose in them.

Last edited:
Thanks Davo,
I'll mess with it when i get back in Ga this weekend. I read somewhere they changed them about '98 or '01 to metric and i have a '05 AMG longblock i got recently.
Don

Back