• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

before and after GM-8 to an ATT

So the cast iron broke loose from inside the exhaust manifold or inside the turbine housing? And you pulled the turbo apart and found it in the turbine housing? Is interesting that maybe other poeple could have this in their GMx or ATT turbo.

position of the actuator on GM-5 and 8 is vertical, 3 - 4 is horizontal, and are not interchangeable.

Also the location of the wastegate itself, 3 and 4 is located in the turbine housing (as in the top photo), and 5 and 8 is in the exhaust elbow.

That's a GM-8, with the Heath turbo master. I had the same, and this is how it looks when mounted.
Damn, Hank, really you were looking for maximum boost with that spring so tight !!! Never defueled ? Usually the gap is 2.5" with stock chip, and 2" with Bill's chip :D

--- I figured I want to take this apart for shits and giggles to see by chance theres any thing wrong. To my amazement there was pieces of cast iron lodged in the small scrolls of the turbo and thankfully they didnt hit the impeller!
They must have come from the manifold that finally broke loose.

Now I have 15psi WOT but no were near the turbo whistle I had!

So come thursday I am heading up to the U.P.(upper peninsula for all you non michiganders) camping. Finally i will be able to post results for the before and after results!

The pics are the pieces of cast iron chips that i got out and the other pic is them in the turbo

WOAH!!! :eek: Where does this iron come from ??? sure from manifold ???

So the cast iron broke loose from inside the exhaust manifold or inside the turbine housing? And you pulled the turbo apart and found it in the turbine housing? Is interesting that maybe other poeple could have this in their GMx or ATT turbo.

It definitely did not come from turbine housing, it was old corroded cast iron had to be the manifold or cross over

Here's another photo describing a major difference between the 2.

Attachments

• A_Team.jpg
    A_Team.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 11
Back