• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

been having update issuess, feel i need to restore to a previous date, have questions

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys, I crashed my laptop at the beginning of may, and my computer nerd buddy was able to restore it to the last time I backed up to my removable hard drive (that is soley dedicated to backups) which happened to be in november.

anyways, it has been working normally, except that I cant get Windows 7 SP1 to install. I have went through the troubleshooter, tried the full list of stuff from the microsoft website, and finally found somewhere that said that it may not be updtating due to the fact of a previous update not being installed. sure enough, I looked through the list of updates I had to go through and do after the restore, and the following didnt install:
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 4 (KB2463332)

Installation date: ‎5/‎3/‎2011 6:11 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80200010

Update type: Important

This service pack upgrades all Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition instances and components to Service Pack 4 (SP4). If you need additional installation options, you should download this service pack at the Microsoft Download Center. For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 2463332.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2463332

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

and this:

Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB2464583)

Installation date: ‎5/‎3/‎2011 6:11 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80200010

Update type: Important

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office Excel 2007 that could allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified file is opened. This update resolves that vulnerability.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2464583

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us

I have to do the SQL server update, and it doesnt work.

so the final question is, can I restore to the same date again, but this time install updates one at a time, and preferably in order by date of release, which would make the two that didnt go through, some of the first ones to be re-installed? (the last time, I let it install alot of updates at a time, basically put it on auto and it did it in about three chunks, and I guess the above two didnt succeed for whatever reason. I feel they needed to be in before something else was put in.)

also, do I need to save my files that have been updated recently, or is that unaffected during a restore? I thought I heard they were seperate, but would like to make sure.

thanks guys!

This is saying the background updater can't connect to the internet. :skep:

Try downloading the entire patch and then installing it. Not just Windows Update site.

Are you running a virus scanner? If so disable it for this update. Uninstall if you are doing a major upgrade and reinstall after you are done. This virus scanner uninstall can cause major issues so have a good backup made...

so would you recommend I restore the computer, or try and figure it out in its current state?

also, all I run for protection is:
Microsoft security essentials
Spybot search and destroy with no teatimer. basically use MSE for primary, and fire up S&D, update it, and then scan the computer to make sure its clean.
probably unrelated, but I do have CCleaner.

so would I or would I not mess anything up by restoring to the last backup? (november)

If your backup in November was a full backup (OS, programs/applications, user data [files, documents, photos, videos, etc.]), then restoring your laptop with that backup will, literally, bring your laptop back to that point in time.

Note that you will lose all files, documents, photos, videos, etc., that were loaded onto the laptop right after the laptop was backed up in November (these are the most "important" from an IT perspective, i.e., user data).

Note that you will lose all software, utilities, account user IDs/passwords, drivers, updates, etc. that were installed on the laptop right after the laptop was backed up in November (these are important from an IT perspective but can, in most cases, be reinstalled... hopefully, you would have kept copies or hardcopies of license info, activation codes, etc.).

Good luck and let us know how things go.

so anything I updated document wise during tax season I should probably move to a jump drive and put it on after the restore?

so anything I updated document wise during tax season I should probably move to a jump drive and put it on after the restore?

Yes, it is highly recommended.

If your "data" is that critical (e.g., business) or important (e.g., personal), it is highly recommended to store them on a separate drive (hard drive, flash drive, network drive, etc.). Of course, you could just keep it on the existing hard drive, but you should back up your data, again, to a storage device other than your existing hard drive... regularly, too. Doing it this way saves much headache (business) or heartache (personal) because in the event of a full restore (or scratch/install in IT jargon), you only have to worry about the OS and apps.

Back