• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

BD Manifold recheck the bolts after driving

Jasondt2001

Lead Slacker
Reaction score
Well here's one for you guys...
I've had the bd manifold on my truck maybe 10k miles. I had the dealer install the thing becuase I was rounding off bolts.
I've been having a weird tick-tock noise at cold idle, after it warmed up it went away.
Well I was checking the oil the other day and noticed one of the bolts (the one toward the firewall on the top of the manifold backing itself off, like 1/4" of thread showing. The metal washer was up banging against the bolt/head when cold and would seize itself up I guess when warm...

I tightened her up and all i well now, no noise, nothing. I'm so proud of myself :smilielol5:

- Jason

Thanks for the heads up on that one...I have the BD manifold and am hoping to have it on next week. Odd how it came loose even after the deal put it in though.

So Jason how where the gains on the BD manifold? I have a plumbing company down the way from me running them and they said that the temp dropped a few deg. on the EGT's.

Nor-Cal Nick

You know, it spools up quicker and 'feels' like it has a bit more oomph on the seat dyno.
I wish i would have had an EGT gauge before and after to compare but I didn't :(

Is there a torque spec for that manifold bolt? Just curious.
The torque specs for the eight manifold bolts is 28ft/lbs. The three bolts on rear flange is 39ft/lbs, the heat shield bolts is around 6ft/lbs or snug, and the bolt on the intermediate shaft is 39ft/lbs.

BD recomends that you allow the vehicle to go through one or two heat cycles, then re-torqueing the manifold bolts.

jc

Guess I better retorque mine, but I thought the torque specs where higher than 28lbs. I got my torque specs from the dealer they gave me every torque spec for the duramax engine I guess I need to go look again. For some reason I'm thinking 43lbs.

Back