• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Batteries?

whatnot

Reaction score
Who has replaced their batteries and how old were they? If I start plugging in my truck I should be able to make it at least another year but otherwise it isn't going to start the next time it is a few degrees below 0. I don't especially want to spend $150 on batteries if I can put it off another year or two.

if you haven't changed them yet, you might want to with a 2002. I believe they last up to 4-6 years with constant use, but that is not to say they can't last longer. If your starts are ok then there should be no problem.

I have one Battery that is dragging down the other. Its a little slow starting if its not driven for a few days. I am trying to make them last a little while longer then I am thinking about Optimas but most likely will end up buying a cheaper battery.

4-6 years is about what they last. Mine lasted 5. Our 03 dmax lasted 5 and our 02 lasted 5 as well.

Seems to be the norm for the AC Delcos.

I just put in Northerns. They are what we sell at work and with the discount there was no reason not to.

I replaced mine when i bought the truck 2 years ago. I had just replaced the batteries in my other truck so i swapped em with the ones in my 03 when i was moving all my stuff over.:D

I had to jumper it this morning. I think I will just start plugging it in and if it cranks slow then I will replace the batteries. I guess 7 years they have been in there isn't too bad.

4-6 years is about what they last. Mine lasted 5. Our 03 dmax lasted 5 and our 02 lasted 5 as well.

Seems to be the norm for the AC Delcos.

I just put in Northerns. They are what we sell at work and with the discount there was no reason not to.
Are those made by Johnson Controls like almost every other brand?

I had to jumper it this morning. I think I will just start plugging it in and if it cranks slow then I will replace the batteries. I guess 7 years they have been in there isn't too bad.

I'd say they have been pretty good batteries. :D

i have heard mixed reviews about the optimas. I just get the ac/delco, they are a good choice.

Optimas are overpriced and really not necessary unless you have huge power demands.

I like my northerns because they have a handle :D

I picked up a pair at Costco last night for $66 each. They are 800 cca and have 3 year free replacement warranty. (and have handles) I didn't get a chance to put them in yet but it warmed up and the original Delco's are working fine again.

The AC Delcos also have an issue with the posts falling off inside them. Not sure on the specifics of this but I know its an issue.

The AC Delcos also have an issue with the posts falling off inside them. Not sure on the specifics of this but I know its an issue.

terminals inside a battery? do you mean outside terminals? wierd, never had an issue with any ac/delco battery i have ever used. was this a recall?

Yeah the AC Delco's had an issue with the terminals falling off. Then they changed the design of the battery, seems to have solved the problem.

Back