• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bad ride yesterday

I started riding dirt bikes when I was 13, and continued to until about 3 years ago. I always vowed not to buy a street bike for the only reason that there is to many idiot drivers out there and with my luck one would hit me. I have ridden many friends street bikes and love it, but I am sticking to my guns.My son bought a very fast crotch rocket a few years ago, but before he picked it up I made him take a riding safety course, he was # 1 in his class, and I'm glad he did . Still every time he took off on that thingI was worried about that other idiot driver. He sold it last week and I must say I am more than a little relieved. My point is anyone who has 0 riding experience needs to take a riding safety course.

I wouldn't mind riding with other sportbikes, but they are all f-n idiots that will get me killed.....if that makes since.:eek:ut: But I do understand how deceiving a Duc can make a hard turn look effortless. I've owned and have been riding sportbikes for 10 years now ('99 Triumph Daytona 955i, '00 Honda CBR600F4, and now my '99 Ducati 996s) and by far the Ducati can litteraly run circles around the other two and all others that I've ridden.

I normaly ride solo or with one good friend of mine, (who rides a cruiser) but the guys from work wanted to get together for a ride so I was game for a nice cruise. No biggie to me and like I said before, I had the line organized according to abilities. I didn't feel like riding my V-Max (which is cruiser like...kind of) because I saw one drop of oil under it and haven't had time to invesigate it, plus the Duc hasn't been run in a while, so it was the better choise for me.

I would still hate to think anyone would try to keep up with a sportbike while on a cruiser, especially around turns.:banghead:

I personally don't like riding with newbies. Watching out for them ,getting off your bike helping them up right their's. :D

Seen a dude once forget to put his feet down at a stop sign. Look if your gonna ride with others and for their safety and their own get out there and ride every chance you get and set YOUR own pace until you learn.

If your hesitant or cannot handle your bike then you don't belong riding. I have a buddy with a Road king they pisses me off to this day because he is unsure of himself as he lacks confidence. Fortunately he has no problem setting his pace keeping himself and others safe.

When we crank it up he lays back. When we squeeze through traffic popping sidewalks :)D) he stays safe.

We always slow up allowing him to rejoin the group.

The only sugnificent differance to a Sportbike and Harley is ground clearance. You gotta watch your ass. I've seen people scrape their foot boards panic and stand the bike up instead of riding it out.

See-ya.........

It get's pretty scary watching someone crash. A few summers ago I was at my aunt and uncles. I rode my bike there and a few of them were going for a ride. My little brother was there too, but he didn't have his bike. He had been drinking so he didn't want to go for a ride. My cousin kept insisting that he would be fine and told him to just take his bike, and he would take his girlfriends. Well, my brother reluctantly agreed and took my cousin's 69 sportster in a paugho rigid frame. Low low rider. I stayed back with him, because if I didn't he wouldn't hold back. We were going up a twisty mountain road. The road was also in pretty bad shape. It was a tar road but it had "ruts" in it. As we were going up the mountain I kept seeing his frame hit. Pegs are one thing, but when the frame hits you ain't riding it out for too long. So I get on it to get beside him and let him know, but he hears it and gets on it too. Sure enough he wipes out. He did like a 45 degree rollover, looked really bad. ****ed it all up. I stopped right there in the middle of the road and jumped off my bike. I don't even know how I got the kickstand down. I expected it to be on the ground when I got back to it. I screamed **** (the f word) so loud it hurt my face. I ran over to him and grabbed him and asked if he was ok. I got a sheepish, embarrassed "Yeah" so the next step was dragging that bike as far into the woods as I could, and kicking all the pieces off the side. If anybody stopped, he was riding bitch on my bike and I made sure the rest of the group knew that when they turned around.

On the second crash, I was lead, then the newbie, then an experianced tail. We were not even 2 miles down the road and I was not going fast at all. As a matter of fact, I took one slight curve with no hands, as I forgot to latch my helmet and was costing in neutral. So there was no way I was going fast. It was just another driver:wtf:
That guy was probably really nervous over what he had seen. He was probably looking at the side of the road and thinking "Don't do that." We all know you tend to drift in the direction you're looking. I didn't even want to ride after the above mentioned story. My legs were shaking so bad, I couldn't stand it. I thought my brother was a goner.

Welp, not all sportbike riders are idots..just as not all H.D. riders are idots, there's some in every group.

Ego's are the main reason for crashes, why can't riders just ride within themselves..? seen it a few times in the twisties..you gotta walk before you can run..:idea:

My last GSXR 750 got totalled due to a New rider Not knowing what to do, he was on a Gixxer 1k no less...:crazy:

And Berk, how can you compare owning a pitbull to a Firearm..?

Pitbull verses a firearm is simple. Can be summed up in one word Recklessness.

Pitbulls can be wonderful dogs if handled correctly. Aren't firearms the same? Put in the wrong hands and it can be devastating just like owning a pitbull as a pet.

Recklessness.

It get's pretty scary watching someone crash.

That guy was probably really nervous over what he had seen. He was probably looking at the side of the road and thinking "Don't do that." We all know you tend to drift in the direction you're looking. I didn't even want to ride after the above mentioned story. My legs were shaking so bad, I couldn't stand it. I thought my brother was a goner.

My last 2 big group rides (about 5 years ago) the rider infront of me went down.:frown5: Not easy to go on and continue. Even last summer, I was at a bike rally in Bandera,TX and a guy coming the other direction on an easy curve, low sided and came right at me in my lane. I, not only, had to lay down on the brakes, but also make sure my buddy behind me didn't ass end me. Luckly I had just enough time to pulse my brake lights to warn him behind me then hammer down on the brakes. We stopped in enough time, got off the road and helped the guy until his buddies turned around and came back. Another hard ride home.......it's happening more and more.

As far as the guy being nervous, I can totally see that. After his crash, he would bearly get over 55 on the freeway. We stopped for fuel and I told him, with the traffic we had, he had to keep up or he is putting him and us in danger. He understood, then kept up with us and traffic after a little while later.

Welp, not all sportbike riders are idots..just as not all H.D. riders are idots, there's some in every group.

Ya, I know. It's just hard to find the right people to ride with, that's why I ride with all makes. It's the person not the bike. :)

Pitbull verses a firearm is simple. Can be summed up in one word Recklessness.

Pitbulls can be wonderful dogs if handled correctly. Aren't firearms the same? Put in the wrong hands and it can be devastating just like owning a pitbull as a pet.

Recklessness.

I see the point, but you could say that about other breeds of dogs, like german Shepards, Malamutes, ect. The media has done a terrible disservice to the breed of Pit Bulls imho, and statements like the above proves it. JMHO..

Last weekend after 6 weeks since I almost became a doner, I saw video of the chopper comming to pick me up on a buddies girlfriends cell phone. Since I was knocked out and don't remeber a thing, it was pretty erie to watch. I'm young but have been riding bikes for a long time, **** just happens sometimes.

I see the point, but you could say that about other breeds of dogs, like german Shepards, Malamutes, ect. The media has done a terrible disservice to the breed of Pit Bulls imho, and statements like the above proves it. JMHO..

Not my fault the media misrepresents. It is what it is

If your not a responsible pet owner regardless the breed or gun owner it's to pees in a pod in my book.

Ego's are the main reason for crashes, why can't riders just ride within themselves..? seen it a few times in the twisties..you gotta walk before you can run..:idea:

My last GSXR 750 got totalled due to a New rider Not knowing what to do, he was on a Gixxer 1k no less...:crazy:

And Berk, how can you compare owning a pitbull to a Firearm..?

Very simply put, a gun, a motorcycle, and a pitbull can all be a source of injury and death if handled improperly. What's the argument?

I always ride as fast as the slower of the group rides, if a newbie goes slow, I go slow...if he goes fast....I go slow and see what happens, this Saturday afternoon me and my son were taking the last ride together before he deploys to Iraq when we came on to a wreck...crotch rocket in pieces on the side of the road, ambulance with the stretcher just standing there behind the rig with the sheet covering up the stretcher, that is always bad news, a few miles when we pull up to a light my son opens his visors and had tears in his eyes, he told me he knew the guy, come to find out the rider was doing the twisties in and out of traffic on a 4 lane hiway and rear ended a PU truck, his partner didn't see it happen. This is what gives the good riders a bad name.
Come to find out, the guy makes it, broke both wrists, minor head injury and 35 - 40% road rash on arms and back....no gear at all and was estimated to be going in excess of 85 mph, he did have riding boots on and chaps....but just a tee shirt as it was hot outside
found out yesterday the kid didn't make it, what I was told by EMS was road rash to the lower face and internal injuries done him in. I noticed a HD on the road when I went by, come to find out it was his Dad riding with him and his son was doing the twisties in traffic when a truck passed another in his lane of travel and he didn't/couldn't react fast enough. Rumours are he was a Marine on leave. I really hate this crap, crotch rockets going to young kids without any experience and getting killed

Don't bitch about crotch rockets going to inexperienced riders. That kind of talk is the thing that causes legislators to pass ridiculous laws that effect everybody. While I do believe in way more involved and staggered licensing system, the ultimate responsibility is with the rider himself. Especially in this case where the father was a rider as well, he should have known better. On the other hand, if a truck is in your lane on a blind turn, even a seasoned rider may not have many options.

found out yesterday the kid didn't make it, what I was told by EMS was road rash to the lower face and internal injuries done him in. I noticed a HD on the road when I went by, come to find out it was his Dad riding with him and his son was doing the twisties in traffic when a truck passed another in his lane of travel and he didn't/couldn't react fast enough. Rumours are he was a Marine on leave. I really hate this crap, crotch rockets going to young kids without any experience and getting killed

Well, that sucks:cryin: Please don't blame the bike, or I'm going to start blaming my keyboard for my misspelled words.:frown5:

I read a while back, that a lot of military guys are coming home from the war and buying sportbikes, just to get some thrill. Most are crashing and a lot are dieing from the crashes. It's not the bike, it's simply the inexperiance and lack of respect for the machine.

I agree, it's always the rider's experience that will determine the outcome.
A salesman from a local bike dealership said 9 out of 10 sportbikes they sell at their dealership gets totalled in the first 2 years.

You can say the same thing about Jet ski's and boats. Every year on the lake, I see more and more inexperienced water craft drivers. You don't have to have a boat license.

Blast me if you like, but the salesperson has some resposiblity too. You "Qualify" a buyer before you do much else..in that qualifing, you know the rider is new, or has very little experience riding..imho, this kind of a rider should NOT be on a sportbike i.e. gixxer ect..it's an accident waiting to happen..And yes, when I sold bikes, I did refuse to sell higher hp bikes to new riders, at least I slept good at night.

Granted you can get hurt on any bike ect..lower powered bikes will at least possibly reduce the risk factor.

Back