• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bad News Bears

durallymax

Reaction score
Well today the dealer let me borrow their compression gauge and adapter to test my compression tonite.

But i found out what i was scared would happen.

As you may remember i had a very smokey rough idle that popped and sputtered but when i shut cylinder 2 off things were fine.

The balance rate for that cylinder was +5.2 in park, and +8.7 in Drive.

I had hoped for a bad injector but after my compression test I see it is not.

All of the other 7 cylinders were between 380-390psi. #2 was between 200-220psi on the three times a rechecked it just to make sure.

I guess its time to pull out the motor and determine the issue. I suppose this means something not so good mechanically (cracked piston, bent rod) i guess i will find out.

But i think the truck will be sitting for awhile.

:mad:

Sorry to hear that Vinny.

I'll give you a call later on. :beer:

Oh man that sucks. Sorry to here that. I know my truck is the love of my life ha and i'm not sure what i would do if somethin would happen to it. Good look man

if youve followed along, youve noticed i dont care too much about my truck.

i like it but dont care if i break it

Bummer! That sucks man. Hopefully its nothig too serious. Good luck Vinny:beer:

Well you've always known you have to pay to play... Just too bad it's right before pulling season starts to heat up. Good luck with it and just think of the additional education you get!;)

Man that sucks!

How do you check compression on a diesel anyway? Since there are no spark plug holes and all.:noidea:

Harbor Freight has a tool that will work on the Duramax right out of the box.

Just remove the glow plug for each cylinder.

Man that sucks!

How do you check compression on a diesel anyway? Since there are no spark plug holes and all.:noidea:

On engines with glow plugs; you use the glow plug hole.

On engines without glow plugs; you remove the injectors and use the injector bores.

Man that sucks!

very easy, especially when you call up your service dept. manager and say i need to use your gauge and adapter to test my compression.

For the LB7 its very simple. Remove your fender liners, remove the nuts that hold on the rail for the glowplugs with an 8mm, remove the glow plugs with a 13mm hoping you dont snap one off( i didnt) then thread in the adapter, clip on the gauge, pull ign 1 fuse, then have a buddy crank it while you watch the gauge. Let the cylinder hit 6 times. If there is more than a 50psi difference between any cylinder and the average of all of the cylinders, you have a problem.

Well you've always known you have to pay to play... Just too bad it's right before pulling season starts to heat up. Good luck with it and just think of the additional education you get!;)

I already learned the insides of them with my other motor, thought it was pretty cool and straightforward, unfortuneately i get to do it again.

Soon ill be able to swap motors as fast as i can swap trannies now.

And as always since i have plenty of time, look forward to some more write ups

well i almost had it out tonite, but my tranny jack decided not to go up. NAPA is coming to fix it tomorrow hopefully.

I spent a lot of time cnapping pictures for my write ups on various things.

Once i get the motor out, everything is getting thrown in the bed and the truck is getting rolled in the shed until planting is done. Then the 10 pallets of seed will be out of the way and i can roll the truck next to the lift to do all of the little things i want to do but never did before such as cleaning up the wiring, painting the frame, redoing the heat sheilding etc.

Then i also plan to go through the trans and check everything out and throw a few more tricks at it.

Back