• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bad Injector?

Chevypoor

Reaction score
Got Gertie up and running. First drive noticed a slight knock at low rpm on the first drive. It was only a mile or so so I figured it was cold. So I was not too worried since otherwise it ran fine. After a couple more test drives it is smoking, mostly white and if I am on it dark grey. Sometimes it will have slight blue tint but still mostly white. It knocks at low rpms. Above 2000rpm no knock. After calling Heath ( thought it might be a chip issue ) they suggested timing. I am not getting any codes. So I back the IP up and it seems to be happier. The knock is better as is the smoke. However it has also started to miss, particularly under load ( like a good hill ). When it does miss it knocks and the smoke increases. If I let off the fuel the smoke stops as does the knock. In general if a drive real gentle the miss is lighter, as is the smoke and the knock. At idle you can see and hear the miss but it does not knock. Started her up cold this morning 26degrees and she was smoking alot of white smoke but no kock and no miss. After a bit the smoke cleared and she was almost smokeless and running fine, real smooth. After about a 5-10 minutes the miss starts and the amount of smoke goes up. I have replaced the fuel filter and the injector return lines. The injectors are used from the 6.5 that grenaded. They were brand new remans from Kennedy diesel ( less than 500 miles ). I tried to protect them from dirt, dust, and moisture while building the 6.2. The glows are ACDelco 60gs from the 6.5 also with less than 500 miles on them. I have checked and rechecked all the fuel lines, injector lines, and return lines for leaks and everything looks good.

The oil pressure is great. Just over 60 cold and 45-50 when hot. She does run a bit warmer than I was expecting but within spec. She will get just under 210 and then drop 2 notches when the t stat opens. She is not using coolant and the rad hose is still squishy when she is hot and I can comfortably grab and hold it with my bare hand. All of the head studs I can see are dry. She has not used any oil that I can tell in about 60-80miles of test runs. Builds boost, have seen almost 10pounds. Egts are higher than I was expecting at 5-600 at 60-70 mph steady cruise. After the timing adjustment they seem to be about 50-100 degrees lower.

Not sure were to go from here. I am thinking one of the injectors may gotten some moisture or dirt in it despite efforts to keep them clean and safe. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I am still not sure about the chip as the problem improved with the IP adjustment. I do not want to buy new injectors or have these rebuilt if that is not the problem. Or maybe I have two problems. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

In your other thread you implied that you have not timed it on a scan tool yet? If not you have to before anything else.

I forgot all about that Leroy. Yes, you have to reset the timing the pcm is looking for. If you move the pump and don't reset it confuses things.

Source Unknown

Ok. I have installed a couple of pumps, this would be the third one. The other two ran fine. This pump previously ran great on the 6.5 with no timing being set by the scan tool. I do not own a scan tool. Do not know anybody with one either. When I had chipped Little D I wanted to advance/ set the timing to the -1.94 offset. I called five local diesel shops. They refused to help me. Called the dealer and no help their either. So I placed a post over at the dieselplace. No response ( hence partially why I am here, those guys seem to help people in the "club", ie guys who know each other and have been over there forever, the attitude hear seems much better ). So in desperation I tried the local Standadyne dealer. One of there guys was willing to help but he had no clue as to what he was doing. The truck threw a timing out of range code. Frustrated beyond belief at this point I called Bill Heath. The closest guy he knew of that worked on these trucks and knew what he was doing was in Pennsylvania about 5hrs away. So I drove Little D 5hrs to set the timing. I am not comfortable continuing to drive Gertie with the knock if it is an injector. I would hate to eat a hole in a piston. The closest diesel shop to me is over an hour. The closest Chevy dealership is 45mins away. Gertie is too big to fit on my flatbed ( it was put on the trailer with a backhoe, front tires are too wide to fit through the wheel wells ). So unless somebody here knows somebody that is close enough to help and willing to drive to help I am unsure what to do. I guess I can try to find used scan tool with the diesel sotfware although last time I looked I had no luck.

Thanks guys.

I guess it is time to look into a scan tool since I have three of these beasties. Are you talking about Leroy/ Leroy Diesel having one? If I am going to buy one I would like to buy from someone here if possible. Once I get a scan tool I will post up since I have never really used one.

Sorry if I seemed a little short. It is frustrating dealing with the attitudes alot of places/ people have in regards to the 6.2/6.5. A couple of shops actually told me why are you messing with that boat anchor. Another did not even have the ability to work with an OBDI truck. I have been talking to people about the 6.5 and have more than one express the opinion that it a gas motor done as a diesel or that is the worst piece of junk ever to leave Detroit. I have stopped even arguing. The more I work on them and drive them the more I enjoy them despite there shortcomings, most of which are easily fixable.

Cool, thanks. There is not much you do not sell or cannot get for the 6.5 is there? :D Just checked it out and the price is alot cheaper than I thought. :) I just tried to PM you but the box was full so I have on quick question. Just bought a Surface oversized tablet that has Windows RT and Microsoft office on it for work. It has a port for the aldl cable. Do you think that will work with the software? Do you think I could transfer the software from the desktop if it comes in disk form?

If it is a download I would think it would work. The Surface has Windows RT and a Microsoft Office but it also has the ability to use apps and has a touchscreen. It is a little smaller than a sheet of paper. It has 64Gigabytes of memory. The desktop on the surface looks just like my desktop on the desktop pc. It even has the trash can for your trash. Seems to operate like every windows pc I have ever used. I think I am going to try it... worst case if I can't use it I will drag the desktop out to the truck and set it up in the passenger seat!

You guys are more tech savvy than I. Im not sure about your tablets compatability.
You can load the software to a desk top or other puter for a back up. Just keep the key and you'll be able to load it anytime in the future.

Thanks guys for all the advice. Waiting on the software/ key and the aldl cable. Hopefully this will help get the bugs worked out so I can get to driving this thing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Update: Found a massive fuel leak that was letting air into the system. I fixed that yesterday. Truck runs and drives and much better. Miss is totally gone. Smoke is almost gone... the new rings may a bit of mileage to seat fully.
I still have the "rattle". I have been unable to load the new software... it keeps telling me the it cannot reads the info and that the key/ license number is bad. I have backed the pump back till it almost will go no further towards the passenger side of the motor. It only rattles under moderate to heavy throttle. Under light load and cruise nothing. If I hit a hill it rattles a bit. Idles great with no rattle. It reminds me of a gasser with too much vacuum advance. I am convinced it is a calibration issue with the chip since part throttle timing is 100% computer controlled and has almost zero to do with the position of the pump body. Any thoughts while I wait to get the software issue sorted?

- What steps do I need to take to set TDCO?

■Start GMTDScan Tech.
■Connect to your truck.
■Go into the dashboard view and verify that the engine coolant temp is at, or above, 180 °F. If not, wait before proceeding.
■Go into the DTC view and verify that no trouble codes are present.
■Go into the TDC view.
■Take note of the current DES/ACT/TDCO values. OEM is +3.5°/+3.5°/-0.5°.
■Click the TDC Time Set ON button. DES should now read 0° and ACT should read +3.5° on average.
■Click the TDC Time Set OFF button to go back to normal operating mode.
■Click the TDC Learn ON button. The TDCO value will now fluctuate for about 20-30 seconds before setting itself. You can end the sequense prematurely by clicking the TDC Learn OFF button. The current TDCO value will then be set in the PCM.
■If you are not happy with the TDCO you get you must turn the injection pump. Towards the drivers side is "+" and towards the passenger side is "-". A 2mm move equals 5° so take it very easy and do not attempt to turn the injection pump while the engine is running!
■Repeat the TDC Learn procedure until the TDCO you want is attained.
Note:
You need to know what you are doing when attempting this procedure. If your mechanical skills are limited, leave it up to a skilled friend or professional to do it for you. You are on your own if something breaks. Engh Motors cannot be held responsible for damages, injuries or costs of any kind.
- I keep getting "INVALID LICENSE FILE!". What is wrong?

You have not entered your licensing information correctly. All info needs to be entered exactly as it appears in the delivery e-mail, not just the license key. Get a single character wrong and validation will fail. It is even case sensitive. Copy and paste all information to avoid typing mistakes.

- What about GMTDScan Tech updates, do they cost extra?

- I get the following error message when I try to register the software: "Access to the path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\GMTDScan Tech\GMTDST.lic' is denied".

That is a Windows user access rights problem. The easiest way around it is to right-click the GMTDScan Tech icon that the installation created on the desktop and selecting "Run as Administrator" from the menu pops-up. You will have no problems creating your license file then.

Back