• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bad Ground for jump starting

aggar

Don't tear it up!
Reaction score
On the duramax there's the tab that you're supposed to ground the jumper to while trying to jump start something. Mine doesn't ground out. Can't get it to spark with the other one. Any ideas why this isn't working??

no easy spot on the block to ground to? you know there's to much crap in there when you need a ground tab for jump start it!:cuss:

Yeah mine doesn't work either, has screwed me once before but never tried fixing it. I just search around for a bolt close and use it.

Just clamp it to the AC compressor. The ground tab on mine doesn't flow enough juice to jump a lawnmower.

Take the Ground Connection off, and scrap off the paint down to bare metal at the mounting point.
GM had a brain fart.

What's wrong with hooking it up directly to the negative terminal on the battery? That's what I've always done and never had any problems.

What's wrong with hooking it up directly to the negative terminal on the battery? That's what I've always done and never had any problems.

You want to remember when jump-starting a car is that a slight possibility of explosion does exist. This is because hydrogen gas which forms as a battery discharges is flammable, and a spark from the battery cables could set it off. It's a slight because the gas would have to be fairly dense around the battery for this to happen. This is unlikely unless the battery has been sitting for a long time and little or no air circulation has occurred in the area, but it is possible.

You want to remember when jump-starting a car is that a slight possibility of explosion does exist. This is because hydrogen gas which forms as a battery discharges is flammable, and a spark from the battery cables could set it off. It's a slight because the gas would have to be fairly dense around the battery for this to happen. This is unlikely unless the battery has been sitting for a long time and little or no air circulation has occurred in the area, but it is possible.
Yes, you are correct. There is always the possibility that explosive hydrogen gas could be surrounding the battery and a spark would cause an explosion.

But hydrogen is the lightest gas on earth, definitely way lighter that air, so if you open the hood and allow everything to ventilate while you inspect the battery for any damage, etc., that risk should be greatly reduced.

I do know of one incident when a battery exploded while my friend was hooking it up in his car. But that battery was damaged. One of the posts was loose and when he went to attach the battery cable an INTERNAL spark caused it to explode. Fortunately he was looking away at that moment, so the only damage was that he got acid sprayed on his shirt. But it could have been very nasty.

It goes without saying that one should always inspect a battery whenever a connection is being made. Any battery with loose posts or any cracks should be replaced immediately.

Take the Ground Connection off, and scrap off the paint down to bare metal at the mounting point.
GM had a brain fart.

x2. mine wouldn't create any spark at all. unbolted it off, wire wheeled the piss out of it, works great now.

Back