• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Bad Grinding in gear.??? $$$$ ????

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
New Balancer didn't do shit.

Started up no noise.

Pulled out and took off and noise.

Stopped. Put it in Park, noise dissapeared. Foot on brake In gear, grinding came back.

Sometimes in park its there. SOmetimes its not. Its most always there in drive with foot on brake.

Thinking of loosening the inspection cover, but I can't get it off with the crossover, and a mechanic friend coming over to listen. Don't want that rattling, so I'll leave it until he comes over. Scared to drive it to his place only 10 minutes away..

Tranny fluid smelled OK. Looked OK. Noise is really new though, maybe not enough time to contaminate oil.

My Tranny was rebuilt with a new torque converter 30,000 miles (2 years) ago.

At first when it started doing it at idle 20 miles from home I was for sure thought it was an exhaust leak. Drove home NO PROBLEMS, NO NOISES until I pulled into my parking spot.

Now its a grinding noise, I can feel it on the brake pedal. Seems to go with RPM.

Need ideas.

How would I check for this, assuming the noise is pinpointed there? (sure sounds like rear/center/underneath).

Once I advance the RPM a little, the noise will go away, and engine sounds healthy, so I don't think the bottom end would grind like this and then go away if it was engine internal?

Sure as shit sounds like coming from the oil pan. I'm scared to be underneath it. Still waiting for friend so nothing confirmed. Do bottom ends come apart making grinding noise that come and go? Should I drain a sample and see if there is metal filings in it?

It could be one of the torque converter bolts has backed out and rubs under torque.... It wouldnt sound like the typical flex plate breaking noise.

It could be one of the torque converter bolts has backed out and rubs under torque.... It wouldnt sound like the typical flex plate breaking noise.

I'm hoping on something like this. Taking off that inspection cover isn't going to happen with that rusted old crossover in the way... I HATE SALT.

You might be able to drop the cover enough to see in there... plus, usually when the bolts back out, they hit the cover, so you might be able to get it out of the way enough to see if the noise goes away.

I will. My hearts in my stomach is in my throat.

I just priced out renting a 16' box truck for a week and its only 200 and change so thats good. I lost twice that today by dicking around.............. Such is life.

This truck has made me over 1/4 million dollars, so I will never disgrace it no matter what the outcome is....

Like the mailman said "Is she sick?".. Yes friends, she is. I feel helpless. At least that rental is very cheap. Hope its a chevy, I forgot to ask, but somehow I see a ford conversion van/box truck. Hell I might like it so much I might find one in a 6.5 flavor. Probably would suck to plow with though :)

Still waiting on my very slow mechanic friend, and my brain is overthinking things combined with forum paranoia hopefully is all what is going on here.

Mechanic friend thinks its the flywheel.

Is that a 6.5 specific item or did chevy share this with 350's and /or 454?

Is it really a grinding sound? When the downpipe or the exhaust pipe between the cab and tranny xover rubs on the frame because a motor mount is sagging or something it sounds like hell in the cab as it resonates. Is it really audible outside or only up close? And the rub of the exhaust can come and go with ir in gear, or not in gear or with a little RPM.

It really sounds like a mechanical physical grinding noise from the oilpan area, which is basically attached to the flywheel. He was pretty sure pretty fast it was flywheel, so hopefully hes seen this type of thing before.

Man I feel for you Matt, I understand the relationship with you and your truck. I just did a flexplate on my 82, wasn't particularly fun, but I had use of a lift and another pair of hands to do it. Just have to pull the driveshafts, tranny mount and carefully slide it back. A trick is to install long bolts in the bellhousing to keep the tranny from dropping. Only need about three inches to do the job. My new flexplate was $42 from Advance Auto. BBC and SBC aren't all the same, but some are. It goes by tooth count. So just look up the part from a couple sources and figure out what tooth count it is. Considering the monster starters we have I doubt that they don't have a bigger beefier flexplate as well.
BTW, what people call a flywheel is not a flywheel. Only manuals have flywheels. Just for parts ordering purposes.

Hang in there, this too shall pass!

Drop the starter and look in that way. While your under there make sure the starter bolts didn't snap. Sometimes one breaks and starter cocks. If you have to pull the crossover and have not done so recently expect to pull the manifolds after the crossover bolts all break. Gotta love New England. Dan is correct, it's a flexplate. Part is cheap, work the change it is what sucks.

Back