• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Back to Stock

t2ch

Reaction score
Last weekend I removed the K&N filter charger kit on my truck and went back to stock. I removed the vortex fins and put it back in.
What I have noticed is less throttle response from idle. A little more smoke and seems to have a little more boost when cruising at highway speeds. I have also noticed about 1 MPG loss on a trip with mild stop and go.

With the K&N the boost seemed to drop off when cruising at 60 and above when empty unless I got on it. Is this due to air restriction from the stock filter?

I have been thinking about getting a different CAI, maybe S&B. With all the hype about how bad the K&N is I'm a little confused. I understand the better flow = less filtration but I like the performance gains of the CAI.

I guess what I'm asking is has anybody compared the K&N side by side with other brands. I mean in their hands. I've read the scientific results posted on the other site but....

in my case the change from the s&b lly intake to the lbz stocker was a noticable gain. now i havent tried the lbz cold air setup yet, but i know for a fact the stocker flows better than the lly cai.

I checked the intake tube after removing the K&N with a white rag and found no dirt or oily residue.
I think I'm going to put the K&N back on after cleaning it.

I have found the diesel fumes from the exhaust are noticeably higher than with the K&N.
Also the EGT's are higher when pulling my camper.

I love my S&B but I didnt notice any difference. I would recommend it to anyone, mainly because of the price and filtration...

I have managed to get 1.5 to 2 mpg better with the S&B on my LBZ. I Started with a modded stock air box. then put in a K&N drop in filter. I didnt get any noticable inprovements with the K&N drop in. I would reccomend the S&B for price, improvements, and cool looks.

Back