• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Back to DB2

I have not done the conversion, but will be doing it when i rebuild my motor.

Ratman has done the conversion and swears by it. He loves it.

The only catch that he mentioned to me is the lack of cruise control.

Does this work out for you that have done this?? No PMD sounds good, but fuel economy, power, response?? Is it worth it?

Marc

Fuel economy: 17.8mpg with 19:1 CR engine
Power: I've rode in several chipped DS4 rigs, -and the DB2 simply outperforms
Worth it?: To me with the manual trans? -yes. Auto trans? -can't answer that.

The auto trans is an area I don't know about. Bobbiemartin over at the other "place" has a book out on the conversion, -auto trans included. I didn't buy the book, because I couldn't get a hold of the guy, -and my manual trans conversion was easy, -so I didn't figure I'd need a book. There has got to be a way to fool the ECM with some sort of TPS signal to maintain control over the 4L80.

There are standalone computers out for the 4L80's, -but I would imagine they probably aren't cheap.

The thing I love the most about the DB2 is FUEL, -what you want, when you want it. The response is literally RIGHT NOW.

Of course, there are the side-benefits, like no PMD. :sifone:

Damn, no PMD? What ever are we gonna do?

??

(The more and more I hear you talk about the conversion, the more and more I want to do the conversion RIGHT now!)

Damn, no PMD? What ever are we gonna do?

??

Shut all the 6.5 forums down, -'cause there won't be much to talk about anymore!

All kidding aside, --there's a reason why I referred to the other "place" as the stanadyne forum. Holy smokes, -like every third thread.

Jake, all I can tell you is you won't be disappointed. The biggest gain to me is the improved driveability. Sure, it delivers more fuel than my chipped DS4 did, -but that's not really the main reason I like it so much. It seems to be much more precise in everyday driving situations, -which for me with the manual trans in stop and go traffic is a big deal.

The coolest thing is, -there's actually a cable under your foot! -And it only takes one wire to run the engine.

Another question, can you get rebuild parts for DB2, or is that like mine & no one wants to sell any parts in fear of not being able to charge the $800 labor on the $100 part?

Shut all the 6.5 forums down, -'cause there won't be much to talk about anymore!

All kidding aside, --there's a reason why I referred to the other "place" as the stanadyne forum. Holy smokes, -like every third thread.

Jake, all I can tell you is you won't be disappointed. The biggest gain to me is the improved driveability. Sure, it delivers more fuel than my chipped DS4 did, -but that's not really the main reason I like it so much. It seems to be much more precise in everyday driving situations, -which for me with the manual trans in stop and go traffic is a big deal.

The coolest thing is, -there's actually a cable under your foot! -And it only takes one wire to run the engine.

That's a big part of it for me, too. The fact that there is a cable that i control, not a bunch of transistors, capacitors, rheostats and resistors that controls fuel delivery.

Plus, it just seems like on our diesels, it's just the logical choice.

Truth be told, when I first got my truck and heard about the TPS and electronic IP, I wondered if there was a way to to convert back to a mechanical IP.

Plus, it just seems so much more efficient.

Let's see:

PMD - $200
DS-4 IP - $1300 - $2000
TPS - $400-600

If all of them go out, you could be looking at upwards of $2800 to fix.

A DB-2 is what, $600? Plus a $60 cable, a $60 pedal? I'm sure I forgot a couple of things, but we're talking worst case 1/2 the cost if all of them went out.

It just seems like a no brainer to me.

Of course, after looking at some of your pics for some of the brackets, I might see about hiring you to build me some of the same, if you'd be available.

Another question, can you get rebuild parts for DB2, or is that like mine & no one wants to sell any parts in fear of not being able to charge the $800 labor on the $100 part?

I paid $480 outright for a rebuilt, -no core.

Are parts available? -You betcha.

Of course, there are the other things, -like the different injection lines, -which aren't cheap. I scored bigtime on my lines, $100 for a complete set of GM lines, -brand new with the little GM barcode thingies still on them.

You'll have to do some looking around for a line set, -just look for the ones for either a '92 or a '93 6.5TD. There are other manufacturer's other than GM for sure, so it can't hurt to see what you can come up with.

Look up DieselPro over at the "place", -he may have something for a pump. If he doesn't, he may know where to find a core. He's also an expert rebuilder, -so he's the guy to ask.

If all else fails, PM me and I'll consult with the boys down at the shop where I got mine.

Back