• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

axle ratio effect chip

chessie 6.5

Reaction score
would an axle ratio change from 3.42 to 4.11 effect the driving characteristics with an existing power chip (Heath GL4)? This is with a corrected speedo buffer box. BTW, I know shift speeds will be lower and etc.. I mean, are chips burned based on the old chip specs which were for the old axle ratio? Or won't it matter?:???:

shifting will be affected some, but it should still be fine. Ive seen the same parameters used on different gear ratios.

Shifting is based on pedal position and speed, so RPMs will be higher at every speed, but you may use less pedal to get there so it may shift close to what it used to, except at WOT your shift RPM might be quite a bit higher.

Stay with the 3.42 gears. Why ? In O7D you got 3.42 but if you want to tow, stay in 3rd. than you got 4.10 gears, so ....

Cu,
Sven

Well, the 4.10s will put more power to the ground in 1st and 2nd and 3rd if you need that acceleration or need to pull 10K+ pounds. Or instead of lower gears you can try shorter tires, drop down to a 235/60 or 235/65 and will make what 3.42 feels like now into a 3.73 ratio and drop you an inch. Although mostly for light trucks.

Going to tow a travel trailer to Alaska. 3.42 ratio in od .75= 2.56. 4.11 in od .75=3.08 x Gear Vendors in od .75 x .78= .58= 2.40.
Even with the power loss of the GV empty, mileage should be close. With trailer, It'll pull better on hills without dropping down so much and give me some gears to keep from being bored. And it'll make starting out with the trailer much easier, especially with the high 1'st gear of a 4L80E.

Back