• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Auxiliary Oil Coolers

handcannon

Reaction score
I just came across some info on a different type of auxiliary fluid cooler. They can be used for: tranny, power steering, engine oil, hydraulics, etc. I've never seen anything like these before. I am wondering if anybody here has had any experience with them and knows how their efficiency compares to the stock tranny and engine oil coolers in our vehicles. They aren't cheap, but because of their apparent durability they could be installed in places on our vehicles where the stock units could be easily damaged. In my thinking the stock coolers could be removed from in front of the radiator, cutting down on heat builup in the cooling stack. In theory I'd think that this could be beneficial in towing applications. The web site where I found them is: coolcraft(dot)com

Here's their web site info.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specialty Auto Tech dual pass coolers utilize a new dual pass internal baffling system that will increase cooling capacity by 40%. Made of sturdy welded aluminum construction, this cooler will withstand the punishment of the toughest operating systems such as flying road debris. It will contain pressure up to 3,000 PSI. They are designed to cool any vehicle fluids including:

* Automatic Transmission Fluid
* Power Steering Fluid
* Engine Oil
* Engine Coolant
* Fuel
* Street Hydraulics

The heat sink design has internal and external cooling fins to transfer heat and minimize the need for direct airflow. Compact design (3 inch diameter) mounts in tight spaces. Cools better than conventional coolers when you need it most, under 40 MPH. High fluid capacity adds ½ quart per foot of cooler length.

Available in 12 inch, 18 inch and 24 inch satin or polished finishes. All coolers come standard with ¼ inch NPT inlet/outlet. 30 inch, oil, fuel and hydraulic coolers need to be special ordered

Automatic Transmission
Application Size
Stand Alone:
Under 400 HP and 3,000 LBS BVW 18" Dual Pass
Over 400 HP or 3,000 LBS BVw 24" Dual Pass

Supplemental:
Auto / Light Truck 18" Dual Pass
Light Truck / Towing 30" Dual Pass (Special order or use 2)
Note: Stall converters - ADD 6" in length of cooler per each additional 1,000 RPM in converter.

Cooling System
Small Block 24" Dual Pass
Big Block 30" Dual Pass (Special order or use 2)

Power Steering
Standard Pump 12" Dual Pass
High Flow Pump 18" Dual Pass

Engine Oil (Special Order)
Small Block 18" (3/8" NPT)
Big Block 24" (3/8" NPT)

Fuel (Special Order)
Street 12"

Street Hydraulics (Special Order)
Street 18"
Street Comp 24"
(Use one cooler per pump)

Note: The above recommendations are based on average applications. Always use the maximum cooler length for space available or a combination of two smaller lengths to achieve desired results. In towing or off-road applications use the cooler as a supplemental source only. Polished coolers are NOT as effective as satin finish coolers. Add an additional 6" in length for polished finishes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don

These are heatsinks more than coolers. Track drag or tractor pull type use.
They simply don't have the same surface area exposed to the air as a radiator type cooler.
Want heat out of the stack? Move the oil cooler elsewhere and the cab - bed air gap is a good place for upflow air.

These are heatsinks more than coolers.
They simply don't have the same surface area exposed to the air as a radiator type cooler.

I like the durability aspect of these, but you just voiced a concern that I had. That's why I want anybody with firsthand experience to chime in.

Don

I have seen them and would say they are supplimental coolers and radiate heat out more than exchange it with air like a pass thru style. Air flow would help but like Warwagon said more a heat sink type cooler.

Perma cool has models with what they call a turbulator tube that mixes the oil internal to the tube so it helps in effeciency. Our stacked plate style the plates are wavy to help turbulate the oil and increase surface area contact and I believe that is more or less needed in an oil cooler vs water cooler due to viscosity and heat transfer.

I don't like the size of the fittings (¼ inch NPT inlet/outlet) for 15W-40. At least not for primary cooling. As supplimental cooling with partial flow maybe like with a bypass system ?????

I have used 3/8 line to make a remote drain for the oil pan on a piece of stationary Diesel equipment (15W-40 oil) and it drained very slow and why I don't like small hose type oil coolers/ remote filters.

I don't like the size of the fittings (¼ inch NPT inlet/outlet) for 15W-40. At least not for primary cooling. As supplimental cooling with partial flow maybe like with a bypass system ?????

I have used 3/8 line to make a remote drain for the oil pan on a piece of stationary Diesel equipment (15W-40 oil) and it drained very slow and why I don't like small hose type oil coolers/ remote filters.

They have a 3/8ths NPT listed for the engine oil cooler but it has to be special ordered.

Your first hand experience with the 3/8ths for engine oil drain is the kind of info I'm lookoing for here. Thanks!

The question I have would be in comparing 3/8ths to 1/2 cooler lines and the volume they can flow with the oil being pressurized and pushed by the standard volume oil pump. What is the best way to set up a cooler on a 94 with the lower volume oil pump? Larger lines and cooler for more volume and slower flow through the cooler? Or would this slow down the flow too much and hurt efficiency? Or, smaller lines and cooler for faster flow and more oil exposed to the cooling surfaces of the cooler? Which would extract more heat out of the oil?

This brings another question to mind. In the motors with squirters, high volume oil pumps and the larger cooler lines does anybody know how the stock oil cooler efficiency compares to the cooling efficiency in older motors like mine without squirters, with low volume pumps and with the smaller cooler lines? Is there any appreciable difference between them?

Don

Back