• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Autolite GPs Fail

buddy

Reaction score
I installed new Autolite Glow Plugs less than 2 years ago and even in CA the hard starting began a few months ago. In this last month it got really bad, but of course it was never so cold that I couldnt start the truck. I would just have to crank for 10-15 seconds on the cold 45F mornings and wait for that big puff of white smoke.

I pulled them all off, and replaced with Bosch Duraterms.

Prior to installing the Duraterms all checked out less than 1 ohm. ONE of the Autolites was still less than 1 ohm, two were a few thousand ohms and the other 5 were all just open.

Is there a specific torque spec for the GPs?

It fired right up beautifully in an instant right after.

So even here in CA where they dont get used too much these Autolites were a huge failure.

Autolite Glow Plugs

I installed new Autolite Glow Plugs less than 2 years ago and even in CA the hard starting began a few months ago. In this last month it got really bad, but of course it was never so cold that I couldnt start the truck. I would just have to crank for 10-15 seconds on the cold 45F mornings and wait for that big puff of white smoke.

I pulled them all off, and replaced with Bosch Duraterms.

Prior to installing the Duraterms all checked out less than 1 ohm. ONE of the Autolites was still less than 1 ohm, two were a few thousand ohms and the other 5 were all just open.

Is there a specific torque spec for the GPs?

It fired right up beautifully in an instant right after.
Hi,
I am the tech manager for Autolite. If you found five GP's open, you should be checking your glow plug controller before you burn up the new ones.
Autolite Glow Plugs are warrantied to be free of defects. The warranty is as follows-
October 2006
Technical Document
Glow Plug Warranty
Honeywell International Inc. warrants that Autolite® glow plugs are free from defects in
materials and workmanship. New vehicle warranties remain in effect when Autolite® glow
plugs are properly installed and replaced according to vehicle manufacturer’s directions at
their recommended change intervals.
This warranty does not extend to damage due to accident, abuse, improper installation or
application, including, without limitation, the alteration or modification of ant required diesel
engine voltage controller component, voltage controller system, inoperative or malfunctioning
voltage controller or related component, including the misuse or misapplication of Autolite®
glow plugs. Any such modification will void any warranty, expressed or implied on the part of
Honeywell International Inc. on behalf of its Autolite® brands.

If you would like to file a claim, I can help you. If you want troubleshooting instructions on the glow plug module, I can send you that as well.

[email protected]

I don't recall Buddy saying he modified his glow controller or circuit in any way, or it mis-behaving. We in the 6.5 community have had issues with "WAP" glow plugs in the past, symptoms very similar to what he described with the autolites. I've had personal bad experiences with the "WAP" glows, my glow plug controller is stock and performs exactly like the GM shop manual states.
Buddy - Please let us know if your GP controller is acting normal or if the debug procedure autolite provides helps.
Don

Thats mighty nice of you, but I'm not looking to use Autolites again. When the Autolites were installed a new controller was also put in, and the controller operates properly. I have tested the output a good amount, and I get the correct glow time all the time according to the PCM programming I have.

There was another case where the Autolites had swelled, could of been an isolated incident, mine were not swelled at all.

They lasted 18 months, not like they were infant mortality defects from the factory. They had been on a slow decline in performance or dropped out one at a time over about 6 months.

These were the "fast heat" variants.

Back