• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ATT Update

I have a few guys here running them, Onetwistedone (here) is running one with tall tires and lift kit. A couple of guys in Canada are running a DB2 with the turbo.

I am waiting on the turbo to show up here, Going to put it on my truck and see what I get out of it. I should be able to spin it up pretty good. (I know what my truck does) so it is a good indicator of the turbo's health.

Turbo should not stop at idle or be going as slow as you state. I asked you dad to let me know when it goes out. I will get my turbo off before yours arrives so that I can install it on my truck and run it. I am very interested in this if the turbo has issues. I have replacement parts and turbos just in case though.

i can hear and feel it when i put my hands around the donuts. one of the bolts was cross-threaded and had to use a spacer to get it close enough to close gap. it's one of those things that will take an hour to tap the threads but 3 hours to get everything put back and cleaned up.

I did get the stock turbo on today. Runs 15psi like a champ. Runs good. so i doubt it is the motor. Who knows. I got the turbo ready to box up and be sent away to be checked.

Yeah got the turbo on Thursday left it boxed up and got the video cam out today to document just in case. Well you would not believe what I found lodged in one side of the scroll up by the turbine blades. A stone, a round stone like washed gravel. the edges are all rounded and it is the diameter of a nickel and twice as thick. I will try and get photos up loaded of the stone. I have the whole thing on video though. Also would like to thank 6.5 and especially his dad they are good people, didn;t get all wigged out and start bad mouthing the turbo. Thanks guys, and the turbo is intact no damage to the turbine side. I called and left a message to call me.

I have not put the turbo on my truck and didn't tear mine down yet, if you want to have me run it let me know. Some family issues kept me from taking my truck apart.

Dennis

Weird......

Yes it is, but you never know what happens. I have had dead mice in the exhaust, when I worked in the city we had a rat issue, they got into everything. I once picked a dead cat out of a dodge intrepid 3.5 liter piece by piece. Crawled up in the engine between the exhaust manifold and the engine, died and started cooking. was dripping red fluid when the vehicle came in, well you know what it ended up being.
Quit eating meat for a few weeks after that, dead people (seen a few in various states of ripeness, dismemberment) don't bother me at all, but that did.

Last edited by a moderator:
:skep::???:I have to apologize for the above comment if it offended anyone, occupational hazard, I forget the golden rule: job should never enter personal life, I have pictures of the stone lodged in the scroll housing. Stone photo3.jpgStone image 4.jpg

My sentiments exactly, lucky I have it all documented on the video cam. I wouldn't have believed it myself. I have every turbo apart down to the core to check for casting flanges and other anomalies, (have to to be sure), and then I reassemble every one. It takes approximately 1.5 hours to take apart, inspect and assemble each unit.

I saw the post earlier about the ATT. I definately still would recommend Walking J Design produts. The customer service is extrodiary and everyone has been really helpful in trying to figure out if something was wrong and to make this all right. There are good people out there that do sell good products and we have one here. Thanks again Slim for all the help.

So what was the outcome ? Did you put it back on yet ? Results ? I have a very similar setup. I am curious how it responds with a mech IP and an NV4500 as compared to a DS4.

Not yet. Slim still has my turbo and is working with it. It might be a while anyways before I get it back and actualy fnd time from college to drive home for a weekend install.

If you have any issues spooling again, I would recommend disconnecting the exhaust at the bottom of the downpipe and seeing how it does then. The larger turbos are quite sensitive to restrictions.

I figured a 4in would have been plenty for the turbo and the muffler is a straight through. Don't think it would cut flow. I do have good news though. I am pretty sure next friday I am going to dyno my truck up here at G&J Diesel. I love being like 2 miles away from there shop haha. But I will be able to get a base reading from the GM-3 and then after the ATT gets on I plan on making another run. I don't expect to see a significant gain in power though. I think if I can get the ATT to spool right that I am gonna run out of fuel before I run out of air.

Yes, 4" is adequate, just dont know if anything has clogged any part of it. After discussing it a while with another party they went and looked and found a place above a crossmember that had been smashed.

I would give the IP another 1/4 turn for the ATT if your smoke is ok or none with it.

Back