• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

ats rear diff cover

stacks04

McLovin
Reaction score
hey guys got my new diff cover from ats installed. i like it alot. wanted a mag hytech but not to keen on the oring seal. just thought it was something that could make a little job into a couple day project. the ats has a complete seal like the allison seal that is reusable.

The oring on the diff cover nearly never leak. We have had a few trans pans leak but now we just toss them and use Greatstuff RTV. You don't have to use the Oring.

hey guys got my new diff cover from ats installed. i like it alot. wanted a mag hytech but not to keen on the oring seal. just thought it was something that could make a little job into a couple day project. the ats has a complete seal like the allison seal that is reusable.

did you put the brake line holder back to it or just leave it loose.when i put mine on i had 3 bolts start to strip out on me right at the last few pounds of torque.

i put the one that was the furthest left back in so far, i am redesigning the big one that holds the e brake cable for next time on the lift.

just curious but what's wrong w/ the o-ring seal?

nothing as far as leakage as i have never dealt a bunch with them, but i just pictured being here at work on a saturday and needing to remove the cover for something or on the road somewhere needing to remove the cover, and the oring breaks. then what? may never happen but with me it is more likely than not.

on a side note a buddy just ordered a dual stainless kit from you guys and recieved it next day. gosh dam that is great. i gave him the recomendation and was really happy to here the service. thumbs up guys.

hey your luck sounds like mine, yea i hear ya though.

lol sweet! glad we had it in stock, yea CT is only a day from us.

The oring on the diff cover nearly never leak. We have had a few trans pans leak but now we just toss them and use Greatstuff RTV. You don't have to use the Oring.

Your using RTV on the transmission pans?

===============================

Stacks if you get a o-ring seal to leak on a Mag-hytec pan I'd be VERY surprised.

No we use factory gaskets on the Trans pans and RTV on diff covers if there is a problem. Sorry for mis understanding.

Thats what I get for multitasking:nono:

now for protecting it from the salt in the winter. they seem to have a love infatuation with it in ct. should i clear coat it?

now for protecting it from the salt in the winter. they seem to have a love infatuation with it in ct. should i clear coat it?

i had our painter hit mine with a few coats of hd clear.its easy to clean and i thought it would protect it a lil longer.it sure wont hurt it id just make sure you get any access oil off b4 you do it.i did mine before i put it on

yeah i should have but being the 4 year old i am i cant seem to wait on anything. so i will be doing it before winter for sure. thanks.

Ok I gotta ask if Im missing something. I read this a few days ago and scratched my head but didnt want to ask any dumb questions.

So you gott a new rear differential cover? What is the difference between seals? I never took the one off my dmax yet but Im looking into a new cover as well. I just thought the seal would be like any other and just use RTV sealant? :confused:

Also did anyone look at http://www.oasisdifferentialcovers.com/ They got some sweet covers at a great price. There Dodge cover makes me want a dodge :skep:

Ok I gotta ask if Im missing something. I read this a few days ago and scratched my head but didnt want to ask any dumb questions.

So you gott a new rear differential cover? What is the difference between seals? I never took the one off my dmax yet but Im looking into a new cover as well. I just thought the seal would be like any other and just use RTV sealant? :confused:

Also did anyone look at http://www.oasisdifferentialcovers.com/ They got some sweet covers at a great price. There Dodge cover makes me want a dodge :skep:

In the late model years Dodge uses the same axle is GM. The difference in gaskets is some aftermarket companies Mag Hytec in particular use a o-ring instead of RTV or a paper gasket.

like mackin said. the factory cover uses a paper gasket. the aftermarket alluminum ones depending on the brand either use a big azz rubber oring, or like mine they use a full seal like the factory but it is reusable rubber like the allison pan gasket.

Back