• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Are you legal for your weight? Probably not!!

GMCYA

Resident Coonass
Reaction score
I just got in from the dmv to register my car (bought a used KIA as a commuter) . I checked on my truck plate as it is due also this time once a year and it is only good for 9200 pounds gross vehicle weight. They do not explain this when you go in for the first time. My truck weighs in at 8000 pounds so I can only legally tow a 1200 pound trailer or load in the bed. To cover my 11,0000 pound camper I need to pay for a 9200-25,000 GCVW plate which is $150 per year. Not that I think that DOT would pull over and weigh a camper but if they did I would get an overweight ticket . I wonder how many people who pull a camper with a heavy duty truck realize they are not legal??? My truck is rated to handle 3000 pounds in the bed, with the current Louisiana Dumbass Motor Vehicle regulations I would be illegal and could get a ticket. What an ass backwards state!!!!! So now I have a heavy duty truck that would be illegal to load down as per the manufacturers specs. that DMV themselves registered and gave me the plate for. Geniuses!!!! I bet everyone assumes since it is a ¾ or 1 ton truck plate they are automatically covered to pull a trailer. That is what we buy them for isn’t it?

I could also get a ticket for my camper not having an inspection sticker, any trailer you pull from 40’ to a 4” utility trailer, to a boat trailer, has to have a yearly state inspection sticker. If it has a plate, it has to be inspected. It is all about the revenue.
Just wondering how many knew this???

I am in KY and here there are no inspection stickers on vehicles much less on trailers or ATV's. I don't even have to tag my trailers.

I don't believe we have to do that here. On bigger trucks you do, but not on pass vehicles. My trucks good for what chevy says it's good for.

I am in KY and here there are no inspection stickers on vehicles much less on trailers or ATV's. I don't even have to tag my trailers.
Man, I was going to use that for an avatar!:doh: But judging by your name, looks like you had it planned out. Although, I think I remember you having the dog.

I'm your huckleberry.

Are you gonna do somethin' or just stand there and bleed.

10-4, I'm not registered as I should either. Looked it up and my ownership shows 4000KG or about 8800lbs. Truck weights about 7K lbs. In reality it needs to go in for a yearly mechanical and get an inspection sticker at which point I could register it for whatever I want. Max here before a inspection is 4600KG (10100lbs)
The system is messed.

I just got in from the dmv to register my car (bought a used KIA as a commuter) . I checked on my truck plate as it is due also this time once a year and it is only good for 9200 pounds gross vehicle weight. They do not explain this when you go in for the first time. My truck weighs in at 8000 pounds so I can only legally tow a 1200 pound trailer or load in the bed. To cover my 11,0000 pound camper I need to pay for a 9200-25,000 GCVW plate which is $150 per year. Not that I think that DOT would pull over and weigh a camper but if they did I would get an overweight ticket . I wonder how many people who pull a camper with a heavy duty truck realize they are not legal??? My truck is rated to handle 3000 pounds in the bed, with the current Louisiana Dumbass Motor Vehicle regulations I would be illegal and could get a ticket. What an ass backwards state!!!!! So now I have a heavy duty truck that would be illegal to load down as per the manufacturers specs. that DMV themselves registered and gave me the plate for. Geniuses!!!! I bet everyone assumes since it is a ¾ or 1 ton truck plate they are automatically covered to pull a trailer. That is what we buy them for isn’t it?

I could also get a ticket for my camper not having an inspection sticker, any trailer you pull from 40’ to a 4” utility trailer, to a boat trailer, has to have a yearly state inspection sticker. If it has a plate, it has to be inspected. It is all about the revenue.
Just wondering how many knew this???

You got the DMV part right. I have a 3/4 ton truck with a "B" plate that has to be renewed every year. My cousin has a 1 ton dually and has an "X" plate that renews every 3 or 4 years. The DMV says they can't control what vehicles get what plates:wtf1:. I guess they can't put a program in their computers that flag a vehicle that is registered over a certain weight.:noidea:

Warren

What a retarded system. BS Don't believe it for a second. I have a very hard time believing that the department who CONTROLS the frickin machine can't flag a vehicle.

Back