• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

are you gellin?

chv2nv

Reaction score
Help! my truck wouldn't start this morning. I have a suspiscion that my diesel fuel gelled in the tank due to the fact it was 8 degrees fahrenheit this morning.
Here's what I did.. I got two gallons diesel and added 6oz. quick flow brand diesel fuel additive and dumped it in the tank. Then I pumped the manual prime which felt spongy and never really got "firm" I opened the bleeder bolt let bubbly air/fuel out and closed it. then repeat pump/bleed about 10 dozen more times-it still felt spongy and truck still wouldn't start.:noidea: Any ideas

Are your batteries good? Do you get any smoke out the exhaust? I had gelling problems a couple years ago. It would start but died when I tried driving.

Are your batteries good? Do you get any smoke out the exhaust? I had gelling problems a couple years ago. It would start but died when I tried driving.
I did charge the batteries and plugged in the heater, but got no smoke out the exhaust.

Definetly change the fuel filter AND us some Power Service 911 to get it started. After adding the 911 wait a few minutes. Always add some anti-gel to the fuel in temps like you see up there. There is no guarantee that the fuel is fully winterized no matter where you buy it.

I ran the roads transporting trailers for a little over 2 years and in the winter it seems I found myself up north a lot. I had a couple of freeze ups and decided that I am not trusting the so called winterized fuel. I saw a lot of 18 wheelers with freeze ups sitting in truck stops.

Just some words of experience and observation.

okay

I am changing the filter today and using fresh diesel with anti-gelling added to it. If that don't get it I'll have to get it towed to the shop.

success!

I finally got it going again. I went back at it at 3pm yesterday and started by bleeding the fuel system from the manual pump and this time after 3-4 tries and only bubbles, I got steady fluid and then pressure. I charged the batteries for about 2 hrs. and it fired right up.:)

I finally got it going again. I went back at it at 3pm yesterday and started by bleeding the fuel system from the manual pump and this time after 3-4 tries and only bubbles, I got steady fluid and then pressure. I charged the batteries for about 2 hrs. and it fired right up.:)

Glad you got it going.

Make sure you keep the proper additive in there to keep it from happening again..Power service works well for people.

I have never really had a problem with the D-maxes gellin, powerchokes are some cold blooded dudes at least the 7.3 where we never owned the 6.0's for more than a few months. Glad to hear you got it goin man.

Back