• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone have pics of there modified wastegate canister?

Sinners Saint

Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas on how to modify the watsegate canister to make my own TM, manual bost controller, however you want to put it. I can't seem to find any pics anywhere of what anyone has done to theres ,I've searched more than I care to. I am also going to 86 the vacuum pump because mine has failed and is making a horrible buzzing sound when I throttle up. Can anyone tell me what length belt they used, or even a part number would be great.

Here is the one i built for my GM-3, i replaced that with a GM-8 but can't find the pics i made of that one. I took the "tuna-can" and used my bench grinder to take the lip off the edge. I tossed the top, used some 1/4" rod threaded it and used a locknut on top. Took me about 15 minutes, really easy to do. When i upgraded to a GM-8, i did pretty much the same thing but those use vacumn so i used a spring that was a drum brake retaining spring, worked like a charm. Iv'e got mine set at 10-11psi, i wouldn't do the mod unless you have a boost gauge as there's no telling what PSI you'll run when you first bolt the thing on. lol My first shake-down ride after i built mine i hit 15psi about 20 feet from a standing start - OOPS!!

Don

daustin, thats about the simplest one I've read about, first one I've seen pics of though. Thanks. I believe I will use your idea. So you just threaded the rod with a 1/4 course thread and bent the other end to stay attached to the wastegate lever? Thanks Pruittx2 for the part numbers.

Oh forgot, I do have a boost gauge, I plan on installing it tomorrow. I did'nt want to take a chance on running too much boost and damaging my engine, thanks for the reminder though.

Ok so I installed the boost gauge, lol, yea its getting 0 boost. The Vac pump must be completely shot, but thats ok its getting 86'd. Unfortunately when I was climbing on the engine to get to the OPS I broke the dang plastic line to the boost gauge, ugh. I replaced it with the copper line and man that thing resonates alot of noise into the cab. Anyone else running the copper line have that issue?

gm 8 on my 94, mod orig vac actuator-cut apart and used pieces. 1st pic mine, 2nd is pic another member actuator. wire welder, threaded rod, washer, works perfect.

doesn't part store have hose??

Attachments

• hm tm gm8.jpg
    hm tm gm8.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 11
  • hmade tm.jpg
    hmade tm.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 8
Got mine finished tonight. Went for a short run and got 5psi at best. I'm gonna go to a lighter spring in the morning to see if that helps. I want to get it to at around 10psi. I went with the copper hose because I figured it would be stronger and last longer than the plastic one. I think I can live with the noise, but if it gets to annoying I'll figure out some way to muffle it. This mod only cost me 68 cents. The 1/4 rod I got from my father in laws machine shop and threaded and bent it myself, I had to go buy a 1/4-20 nylock nut cause I did'nt have one. I'll take pics toorrow and post them up. Thanks a mill guys.

Got mine finished tonight. Went for a short run and got 5psi at best. I'm gonna go to a lighter spring in the morning to see if that helps. I want to get it to at around 10psi. I went with the copper hose because I figured it would be stronger and last longer than the plastic one. I think I can live with the noise, but if it gets to annoying I'll figure out some way to muffle it. This mod only cost me 68 cents. The 1/4 rod I got from my father in laws machine shop and threaded and bent it myself, I had to go buy a 1/4-20 nylock nut cause I did'nt have one. I'll take pics toorrow and post them up. Thanks a mill guys.

You will need a stiffer spring to up the boost.

Thats what I beleive daustin did, at least thats what I got from the pics.

I used some 1/4" rod when i built that one, threaded one end and bent the other into a 90 & stuck it in the turbo wastegate lever. I think i did have to drill it out a little and the canister hole as well. I messed with several springs, but wound up using one off the rear drum brakes from an old GM car. The one that retains the shoes to the backing plate, it turned out just right at 11psi.
I made another one for a GM-8 i got a few months later, made it pretty much just like that one. The vacumn canister on the GM-8 had a hole in the rubber, so it was junk anyway but made good raw material that was also cheap and had a built-in bracket too. ):h The GM-8 install in place of the -3 was just a bolt in, but the -8 seems to make more boost a lot quicker and more as it spins up. I'm very very happy with that mod, one of the best i've done to it yet. If anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to PM me at any time. I don't get on every day, but usually couple or three times a week.
Don

YIPPI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was 2 problems with the rod I made last night. For one, the end going through the wastegate lever was hitting the turbo, restricting movement. Two, I ground it off a bit to clear the turbo, but it was still too short and would'nt move far enough to fully operate.
I started over with a new rod this morning and it now works great. I used 1/4 rod threaded at one end and with a 90o bend at the other. Drilled a small hole at the end of the bend for a cotter key. I used a set of valve springs from my old KZ1000 engine and stacked them.
1st run I got 10psi max and 3-4 sustained. I adjusted it a bit and got 13 max and 4-5 sustained. Hopefully I'm not pushing this engines boundaries with that, but I'm sure you fellas will let me know. I'm very happy with this mod because now it actually feels like a turbo diesel, and I can hear the turbo,which I love the sound of. Also it was dirt cheap compared to buying the heath kit, not knocking his, but I spent less than a dollar on mine compared to $109ish for his.
Thanks for the help daustin, ak diesel driver, docdray, and Pruittx2.

Attachments

• DUALLY 044.jpg
    DUALLY 044.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 6
  • DUALLY 042.jpg
    DUALLY 042.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
sounds reasonable #'s. mine hits 14 max on hard hills for short periods. I would never go 20, for any reason, 6.5 stock not made for that sustained abuse. you sound good. should be about 3-4 cruise and average 7-10 STOCK. you OK.

Heath is great setup, If you have the tools and know how, its cheaper DIY. I think we all keep in mind that Heath has been a tremendous asset and pioneer to our community, when I can I throw some money his way.

yours looks pretty good

Back