• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

anyone have pics of an OBD-1 chip install??

Remove glove box door
Pull out truck computer (silver metal box)
Unscrew small cover on back of computer
Remove factory chip by pressing on outside plastic tabs and pulling upwards
Insert new chip in place of old

The entire process is quite straight foreward, someone else may care to elaborate or sare pics though.....

fair enough. Batteries disconnected?

I ask because I came across a fuel filter today... I swear I thought I was a mechanic until this !@#$ing thing came across me. My Midas touch seems to be waning these days, so I figured to be better safe than sorry.

The PCM is not bolted in, it just slides out, towards the interior of cab. There are two clips on the bottom edge that just need to disengage.

I dont remove the harnesses at all, just twist the PCM out and all wires are long enough to sit PCM on the glove box door. So I dont disconnect batteries either. If I were to remove harnesses then I would disconnect the batteries.

When installing new chip you can ensure everything is good before putting back in by turning IGN on and if you get the Glow cycle its all good. If you dont get glow cycle then something is wrong. Dont crank unless you see the glow cycle. If everything is good and still no glow cycle then swap original chip back in.

Back