• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Anyone ever try injecting oxygen?

i am no expert here but I think propane would be better performance wise anyway....The way i see it is Propane is explosive, whereas oxygen is Not....oxygen will make a flame burn faster or hotter, but it will not burn on it's own. I would be interested in seeing the effect of injecting it into the engine at 100% though. I wonder what it would do

Ever take a clean shop rag and bunch it up, stick the end or your your under it,turn on only the oxygen for 5 seconds remove the your, light the rag? It nearly explodes.

I know what you're saying, and the reason that happens is because the rag itself is being used as the fuel and the oxygen is merely the catalyst that makes the rag burn must faster ( rapid oxidization ) than normally. A clean rag will burn on it's own- not very well, but introduce 100% oxygen into every small surface within the rag and it will burn much faster.

An Oxy-acetylene torch works because of the highly flammable gas (acetylene) being mixed with oxygen which causes it to burn with even more immense heat.
Try lighting 100% oxygen on it's own...it will not burn, as oxygen is not flammable nor a fuel.

But then take Butane, propane or any other flammable gas, and it will burn on it's own

I am still interested in seeing the results of what oxygen injection would do...I imagine it would increase the performance some because it would make for more complete combustion?? Maybe someone else can chime in on this

My point exactly. The reason people blow the motor on propane is because the propane is flammable. It tends to ignite prematurely in the precups on an IDI. The oxygen will only make the diesel fuel burn more violent.

We tryed it on an old 1992 cavaler we were bagging the snot out of in the field. Under wide open throttle we slowly opend the valve and it would pull hard and rev up for a few seconds then it would kinda explode in the air box and kill the car. I'm sure if we had a regulator it would have worked a bit better. We ended
Up filling the engine full of water and had it on the rev limiter for a good 15 min waiting for it to sieze. Ended ip throwing a rod through the side of the block. Still ran on 3 pistons surprisingly

Back