• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

any "Tricks"?

GregAbell

Recruit
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the front end of my K2500HD. Everything is unbolted/removed, except the torsion bars are rusted SOLID to the lower A-Arm and also to the keys - I'd be happy to get either end apart. I've been beating on the A-Arms (forwards and back), along with liberal doses of Liquid Wrench. I've tried using a 2 jaw puller to pull the A-Arm off of the torsion bar - not even a budge! If I could just get it to budge, I'd be able to beat it towards the front; then the back; then the front; eventually getting it off. I've thought about using some "heat", but I don't want to damage anything.

So, anybody have any "tricks"?

As long as you can get the tension off the bars, liberal doses of Skunk piss is about all that you can do.
Thump the bars good to get that juice to migrate in and keep at it until they come loose.

PB Blaster is good stuff.
Heat wont hurt as long as you dont go too hot and mess up the heat treat on the parts.

MGW

One trick that has been mentioned is the 'candle wax' trick. This usually pertains to nuts and bolts that are frozen, though.

The idea is to heat the area until red-hot, then apply a beeswax (NOT the dripless kind) to the joint, and the heat will cause the wax to wick inside the frozen area. This will cause the joint to loosen up so that when things cool, you can disassemble it.

Good luck!

-Rob :)

Missy is right, PB Blaster is good, as well as very very smelly, I suggest wearing gloves while applying it if you can.

I ended up putting on a strap cinched around the torsion bar and then using a come-along hooked to the rear leaf spring perch. Mine were in solid too.

I also used heat and PB.

I was able to FINALLY get the passenger side key removed (hopefully the driver side won't take too much longer). I heated the key up real HOT, then beat on the end of the torsion bar through that round hole using a 1/2" socket extension bar and a 3 lbs sledge, then heated it up, beat on it, heat, beat, heat, beat, etc. It finally started to move. After it finally started to move, it still took another 6 or more heating and beating cycles, but at least one side is now apart.

These creatures can be tough once they have been salted and rusted good.

Once you get it all apart and cleaned up. Use neverseaze liberally when replacing the parts.

It will help a lot if it even needs to come apart again.

Missy

There's always the 'rope and chain' trick, which is where you put a chain (a strong one) on the stuck member and use another vehicle to apply pressure on the chain until things come loose. Can be dangerous, so use caution!

I have also used the vehicles own weight to try and get things loose. One time I used a hydraulic jack on the end of a breaker bar to crack a bolt loose that just wouldn't come off.

Good luck.

Back