• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Any plans for Microsoft Windows XP past it's RIP date of April 8, 2014?

Use Windows XP past it's RIP date of April 8, 2014?

• Windows XP was replaced already.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • We are switching to Windows Vista/7/8 Now.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • We run Mac/Linux/other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Damn the torpedoes! We are using Windows XP till the PC dies!

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
Any plans for Microsoft Windows XP past it's RIP date of April 8, 2014? Some people need to use it for 'dedicated systems' that control HVAC and other dedicated automation controllers. The best thing to do is cut Windows XP off from the internet if you are going to use it after April 2014.

For those in the dark Windows XP will not get any more security patches after April 2014. The internet isn't a safe place to begin with and an un-patched PC is like leaving the barn door open and the lights on.

We still have a couple computers that run XP just because they're so old and under-powered, they couldn't support anything newer. I'm not really that worried though, they don't browse the internet on them, they're just for our call-center (3 employees). Worse comes to worse, I go find some really cheap Win 7 computers. The real trick is that most of our business software isn't compatible with Win 8, and finding "cheap" computers that run Win 7 is getting really hard to do...

I went to W7 several years ago when the XP hard drive puked. Am now on 8.1 as well on the new laptop and Google OS for the phones, her tablet and my notebook. I liked XP when I ran it. Work is W7 pro

My wife loves her XP, hates windows 8/8.1 so I have windows 7 coming to install for her. I already upgraded vista to win 7 on my laptop. Vista was crap.

for us, the desktop is on win7 but my laptop still runs XP. Haven't tried 8/8.1 yet but I'd keep xp over win 7 any day of the week. xp has little flash or fancy thing but that they way I like it. straight and to the point.

I just updated from win98 to winXP about a year ago. Notice I use the term "update" rather than "upgrade" since I'm not convinced the newer versions are actually any better than what they replaced. I figure I'm good with winXP for about another decade. From what I've seen and read about Windows 8, I don't forsee ever using that OS.

I won't miss XP. Windows 7 is a great OS.

Phone is windows 8. So I am kinda sorta used to the OS. New PC is a ways away. Desktop is vista and its 'ok'. Laptop is XP. It might have enough ass for w7. Been eyeballing the surface pc. I will then be cool with 10 slippy slidy icons I can smear up like a 3 year old. (are we moving ahead in computers really?)

W8.1 gave me all the things I needed from W7 in the way of file management but if I did a bunch of documents in excel or word on it I wouldn't be so thrilled. And I understand people that run small businesses aren't...
W8 was designed for the touch screen trend that will be the norm as it is in phones already and, of course, any tablet. W8.1 was a good fix but W9 will probably be worth holding out for if you can.

I was the construction superintendent at a radiation oncology facility several years ago for the TI and install of a Varian True Beam STX, Cyberknife, Varian HDR and GE 64 slice CT machine. I asked the network administrator from Varian about XP and Windows 7. He informed me it would be 5-7 years until Windows 7 was certified internally for these machines worldwide.

I may have read or heard that Microsoft was going to provide updates/patches for XP on a paid subscription basis. Could be wrong though but considering the amount of large medical facilities still using XP they just might.

My update last week from Microsoft on my XP machine was this, "Microsoft will no longer provide updates for XP, goodbye" or close to it. I will just have to unplug it from the internet or install Windows 7.

Keep a close eye on your bank statements, I have listened to several reports on the news that 95% of ATM Bank machines use XP. You should be OK if they keep their network secure, ya I'm thinkin' Target....:eek:

I will see what awaits me when I get back to KS, but the folks said the XP desktop wont get on the internet and isnt working.

my computer guy claims 8.1 is way better than 8, but I sure like 7 alot, so I am debating about pony-ing up for a new business laptop with windows 7 pro, but its only a matter of time before its out of date too....

unless, how long till windows 9 comes out? will it be the new XP or 7?

W7 pro isn't likely to go away anytime soon. Millions of businesses run it.

Sent from my SCH-I535

are we talking a decade or so? I think I will order in a new 7 Pro powered laptop through my local guy. he sells a heavy duty HP laptop line that is apparently pretty durable and reliable. around 1000 bucks.

I am needing something i can run everything with, as I am on the road alot.

IDK for sure but when we went from business 2000 to W7 pro 2 years ago it was with the understanding of 10 years minimum

I have one HP DC7600 PC for the kids still running XP. I have Windows7 pro on my desktop and laptop for work.
Suse or Ubuntu Linux with Gnome desktop, Helix Banshee, Firefox, and Open Office is looking real good for that old PC. The only wrinkle is setting up SANE but it's a fully supported scanner.

From orbit via Android.

Back