• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

any one know about horse drawn plows?

chevyCowboy

I might be crazy but i ain't dumb
Reaction score
I got this old horse drawn plow from a friend of my moms at our garge sale for $50. i want to get it all fixed up and looking new again and put it out in my front flower bed. problem is I dont know any thing about it. it looks to have been painted a couple times the green is forsure not the original color it is almost all peeled off but the yellow [looks like JD yellow] is on there pretty good still may be original. the only name or emblem i can see it a diamond with a "C" in it. there are some number cast into verious parts dont have them off hand. here are some pics
DSC00866.JPGDSC00869.JPGDSC00867.JPGDSC00868.JPGDSC00870.JPG

Southbound end of a northbound mule with a bad case of gas is not a pretty place to be when plowing!!!!!! John Deere was a plow manufacturer, so was McCormick, so was Studebaker. Studebaker made the big beer wagons, they got leaf springs that would make my dually look light weight!!!! The diamond c u have is on the shoe of the plowshare, that is a replaceable part that wore out routinely so it dont mean anything really. Call it a Mcormick and paint it red. Get a single tree to attach to it. They make a much nicer mailbox mount than flower bed ornament. For a flower bed I prefer a iron bedstead filler with dirt n flowers.

Some times these plows are hard to identify as to who made them.back then individual blacksmiths would make them from scratch.

Here is a 2 bottom 5 horse plow i found grown in the trees on my ranch.No brand name to be found either

Attachments

• old plow 002.jpg
    old plow 002.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 4
  • old plow 003.jpg
    old plow 003.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 4
U right bison lots of walking plows etc even got cut up and converted to tractor towed!! I had a box bearing mule disc that was converted to a pull double gang disc. It really made a mess and tater hilled a field bad. Think I pulled it too fast.

Some times these plows are hard to identify as to who made them.back then individual blacksmiths would make them from scratch.

Here is a 2 bottom 5 horse plow i found grown in the trees on my ranch.No brand name to be found either

Simon was that there in front of the house when I was there?

In post #5 there is a picture of a JD Walking plow http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31176

The name is on the top of the plow frame.

just looked at the pic and that dose look ALOT like mine but i cannot find JohnDeere anywhere on it. since i am going to repaint it i may take the wire wheel to it and see what shows up, im sure its going to be fun getting all those bolts that have been there for who know how long apart!

Dont think I would take it apart, probably worth more as is to a collector. Would put some paint remover on it and prime it. Definitely dont think grinding on it is a good idea. U can buy new repoductions now so if u make it like new then its gonna look like someone aged a new plow.

Back