• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

any new news????

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet and for your interest in the 2010 Silverado! We appreciate the time you have taken to write us.

We have been receiving many e-mails with your same concern and suggestion. The 4.5LV-8 Duramax turbo-diesel which you are inquiring about is an engine we were planning to introduce for our 1500 Silverado. But due to GM's economic status, many programs have been delayed or pushed back and we can not say when and if this engine will be introduced into our light duty vehicles. Please keep in contact by visiting the website at www.chevy.com or stay in contact with your dealership. We apologize for this inconvenience. We will document your suggestions and concerns so it can influence our future products.

At Chevrolet, we strive to provide exceptional customer service. If we can be of any further assistance please email us or call 1-800-950-2438, between 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. E.S.T., Monday thru Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. E.S.T., Saturday. Thank you for contacting Chevrolet!

Sincerely,

The Chevrolet Marketing Team
http://www.chevrolet.com

So youre saying theres a chance. If my 6.5 gave up in the next couple years, the 4.5 DMax would have been the only option I might have traded up to, but I can always get a heavily modded 6.2L for not much money to drop in the ole 94.

From what I hear, there's a chance. By the way, I dont work for GM. That was a copy and paste from another forum from someone with the same question.

The GM dealership here in Moscow, ID just closed it's doors. Went out of business, shipped all their inventory to the dealership in Lewiston.

Sign of the times I guess.

It looks like it's a done deal...

GM Relocating Five-Cylinder Engine Production Back to Plant Where 4.5-Liter Diesel Was to Be Built
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/0...-to-plant-where-4-5liter-diesel-was-to-b.html

GM Indefinitely Postpones 4.5-Liter Duramax Light-Duty Diesel Engine
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/0...-45liter-duramax-lightduty-diesel-engine.html

The article above mentions this:
The 4.5-liter Duramax was a major innovation for diesel engines. It was designed by GM entirely in-house and represented a radical new approach to diesel engine architecture... The breakthrough design eliminated the intake and exhaust manifolds and other related components, saving weight, reducing size and lowering costs by up to an estimated $600 per engine versus a conventional diesel. GM promised power ratings for the 4.5-liter Duramax would be more than 310 horsepower and 520 pounds-feet of torque with up to 25 percent better fuel economy.

That is the first time I've seen an indication on what the cost for the 4.5L diesel would have been.

According to Edmunds, the LMM Duramax 6.6L diesel by itself costs (MSRP/invoice):
$7,795 / $6,470 in a van, and
$7,195 / $5,972 in a 2500HD pickup.

Even if the 4.5L was $600 less than the MSRP of an LMM, that's still a very expensive option over the price of a gas engine.

I think I'd rather spend the extra $600 to get the 6.6L.
Matter of fact, I'd rather save that $600 by buying an LBZ rather than an LMM, not to mention the additional savings of the truck itself being used.

Yep it's done for. Seems GM still has the same d*ck lickers runnin the show. A diesel is a way more economical choice that a gay ass Hybrid.

The GM dealership here in Moscow, ID just closed it's doors. Went out of business, shipped all their inventory to the dealership in Lewiston.

Sign of the times I guess.

:nonod::nonod::nonod: I don't know what your experiences were there, if any, but I'm going to miss them. They've always treated me and my truck very well. What is it their sign says now, "Come Visit Us at Tyler & Kelly in Lewiston"? I asked the guys in Moscow one time, I think the same person(s) own both dealerships, and a 3rd somewhere.

It looks like it's a done deal...

GM Relocating Five-Cylinder Engine Production Back to Plant Where 4.5-Liter Diesel Was to Be Built
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/0...-to-plant-where-4-5liter-diesel-was-to-b.html

GM Indefinitely Postpones 4.5-Liter Duramax Light-Duty Diesel Engine
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/0...-45liter-duramax-lightduty-diesel-engine.html

The article above mentions this:
The 4.5-liter Duramax was a major innovation for diesel engines. It was designed by GM entirely in-house and represented a radical new approach to diesel engine architecture... The breakthrough design eliminated the intake and exhaust manifolds and other related components, saving weight, reducing size and lowering costs by up to an estimated $600 per engine versus a conventional diesel. GM promised power ratings for the 4.5-liter Duramax would be more than 310 horsepower and 520 pounds-feet of torque with up to 25 percent better fuel economy.

That is the first time I've seen an indication on what the cost for the 4.5L diesel would have been.

According to Edmunds, the LMM Duramax 6.6L diesel by itself costs (MSRP/invoice):
$7,795 / $6,470 in a van, and
$7,195 / $5,972 in a 2500HD pickup.

Even if the 4.5L was $600 less than the MSRP of an LMM, that's still a very expensive option over the price of a gas engine.

I think I'd rather spend the extra $600 to get the 6.6L.
Matter of fact, I'd rather save that $600 by buying an LBZ rather than an LMM, not to mention the additional savings of the truck itself being used.

Damnation.:sad: That really sucks.

I too am kinda disapointed about hearing of what sounds like the very long delay of the 4.5L if not the complete tossed out. Which that would be a shame, the technology put in to that engine was some of the best that has come out in a while in the diesel world. Plus, IIRC, the '10 1/2 tons and I believe the 6.6L trucks as well were going to get the Urea injection exhaust, which would drastically improve mpg, getting them back where they should be out of the box for a diesel. Hopefully that doesn't go away with the 4.5 engine.

:nonod::nonod::nonod: I don't know what your experiences were there, if any, but I'm going to miss them. They've always treated me and my truck very well. What is it their sign says now, "Come Visit Us at Tyler & Kelly in Lewiston"? I asked the guys in Moscow one time, I think the same person(s) own both dealerships, and a 3rd somewhere.

Had very good dealings with them in the short time I've been here. The "Tyler" part of the business ownes 4....well 3 now. Salmon, ID; Missoula, MT; Lewiston, ID; and the former Moscow, ID. I actually worked one summer with a couple of his daughters when I lived near Salmon.

I bought our truck from the Missoula dealership when I lived on that side of Idaho. That's their big store. Bigger than the Lewiston store.

Have to chuckle, the Ford dealership in Moscow is running ads on the radio that all GM owners on the Palouse don't need to go to Lewiston or Pullman for car repairs. They can do it for you.

Have you had bad luck at the Pullman GM dealership?

Had very good dealings with them in the short time I've been here. The "Tyler" part of the business ownes 4....well 3 now. Salmon, ID; Missoula, MT; Lewiston, ID; and the former Moscow, ID. I actually worked one summer with a couple of his daughters when I lived near Salmon.

I bought our truck from the Missoula dealership when I lived on that side of Idaho. That's their big store. Bigger than the Lewiston store.

Have to chuckle, the Ford dealership in Moscow is running ads on the radio that all GM owners on the Palouse don't need to go to Lewiston or Pullman for car repairs. They can do it for you.

Have you had bad luck at the Pullman GM dealership?

Personally I have no experience with Chipman-Tayler in Pullman. The one time I went in to make an appointment for something they were so busy it would've taken over a week for them to look at my truck. I walked into Karl Tyler and had they took care of me, went there ever since. My cousin has had intake manifold gaskets (once or twice), water pump, power steering pump (I think), differential seals, rear axle seals, brakes...all kinds of things done on his '97 K1500 Sierra, nothing but positive experiences. A couple other friends at school here have also had good experiences with Chipman-Taylor.

That is funny though about the Ford dealer's radio ad. I switch the station so often though I don't catch many commercials.

...IIRC, the '10 1/2 tons and I believe the 6.6L trucks as well were going to get the Urea injection exhaust, which would drastically improve mpg, getting them back where they should be out of the box for a diesel. Hopefully that doesn't go away with the 4.5 engine.
The 2010 6.6L Duramax will have the urea injection system (as will the Ford Powerstroke), but that is to meet the more stringent NOx standards. The DPF is a Diesel Particulate Filter, and unfortunately the 2010 diesels will still have those.

According to this,
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/0...reviews-nox-reduction-solutions-for-2010.html
Chrysler is evidently going to use
'...a special adsorber catalyst material to soak up and break down remaining NOx. Chrysler is the only heavy-duty pickup manufacturer in the segment to use this approach in its Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 pickup trucks. The current 2007-09 6.7-liter Cummins six-cylinder diesel powertrain reached 2010 NOx emissions requirements three years early; it will carryover into 2010 and beyond without change in these models. Like Ford and GM, Chrysler will use urea diesel exhaust fluid to scrub NOx from the exhaust but only in its new 2010 Dodge Ram 3500, 4500 and 5500 commercial Chassis Cabs.Chrysler is using a NOx adsorber on its HD pickups and urea SCR on its Chassis Cabs because the NOx adsorber depends on rare earth metals. Until recently, the prices of these metals had been sky high. Urea DEF is much cheaper than rhodium or palladium. The drawback of urea SCR is that it requires periodic refilling of the urea tank."

“The 2010 Ram Chassis Cabs start with an eight-gallon tank to hold the urea diesel exhaust fluid,” said Kevin Mets, senior development manager for Dodge trucks. “The eight gallons gives us a good range [approximately 4,000 miles] even though the entire package including the DEF fluid weighs about 200 pounds.'

Back